Timed Periods vs Specific Distances

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to run a minute a mile (or so faster) on the treadmill to get (more or less) the same benefit as running in the real world?

Other way around. A given pace on the treadmill to me seems comparable to about a minute per mile faster on the roads or track. Most people say it's easier to run on the treadmill, but my experience is exactly the opposite.

I usually leave the treadmill at the default incline setting, which is always 1.5% from what I've seen. As far as more incline allowing you to open up your stride more, that seems counter-intuitive. When running uphill, the stride naturally shortens...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Only a little-bitty incline Reply with quote

I find that the incline keeps me from falling forward and or over-running the treadmill. Hence I *seem* to have a more natural stride.

It *is* interesting that you find the treadmill work out a bit more difficult than the road - and you're correct, that is 180 off from what most people report.

Personally I don't find either one particularly difficult (unless I make them so). They're just different, and I enjoy each for different reasons.

I particularly enjoy the treadmill because it lets me "play" with hills, and I can use it to force and keep a pace. Also the A/C and fans make living a pleasure. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com [url][/url]
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have begun to hate my treadmill. But then again I have trouble controling the temperature in my home since I use the treadmill in the winter.

I tend to fear droping off of pace and falling off of the end of the treadmill.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Slipping off the treadmill Reply with quote

I slipped back off my treadmill once, and put my foot right through the wallboard. Made a big nasty hole in the wall, but I didn't hurt myself.

Left it that way until I was ready to sell the house, then I patched and painted.

Don't quite understand the temperature problem. In the summer, I kept two fans blowing on me all the time I was running on the treadmill. In the winter, it hardly gets cold enough for me while I'm working out. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never worried about dropping pace and falling off the back I always had a problem with staying on the belt. At the gym where I would run on the treadmill the TV's were up high and way to close to the treadmills so I had trouble watching TV and keeping myself on the belt. I always like to run fast on treadmills because that gets me off the silly things faster. Anyway I never fell but I had some close calls with the treadmill going 10mph and one foot missing the belt off to one side Embarassed
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Fuh -knee Reply with quote

I can just see you zipping along at 10 mph, watching TV, and (almost)stepping off the belt. I'll bet that got your attention.

Sounds luxurious, TV. All I had was a mirror, so I could watch my sweating, suffering face.

I seldom went as high as 10 mph. Mostly I stayed between 6 and 8 mph, and cycled between a 4% and 12% grade (I had the thing jacked up to get 12%).

The reason I went off the back and into the wall, was because I hit the "stop" button (I thought), stopped running, and went shooting backwards. Silly me Embarassed Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all TV watching and treadmill running should only go togther if you've got the TV and the treadmill lined up, which wasn't my case. There was a big window infront of me and after dark (when I did all of my treadmill running) I could watch my reflection, but that lost it's appeal pretty quickly and I had real hard time resisting the tube. I tried to listen to music, but if the song wasn't in perfect rythm with my running I found that I would get really angry. It was the weirdest thing, I'd be running along the song would change to something to slow and I would find myself really annoyed, it took me a while to figure out it was the music. I found that sports were the best to watch while running. Baseball especially, no real rythm at all.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found that sports were the best to watch while running.

Sports have the added benefit that you don't really have to be able to hear anything (with many sportscasters, preferable not to hear them), which is good considering how noisy treadmills tend to be.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Music is a problem Reply with quote

Dear DG: I often see people in marathons carrying CDs. I don't know how they can do it - for the very reasons you state.

The one time I experimented with listening to a tape (Chariots of Fire) during a marathon, it completely took over my pace.

After only a very few minutes, I turned it off, and handed the player to a friend on the sidelines. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The one time I experimented with listening to a tape (Chariots of Fire) during a marathon, it completely took over my pace.

Let me guess, it put you to sleep? Wink

That and 2001: A Space Odyssey are two movies I never could sit through... I watched Mission To Mars the other day and felt similar drowsiness. I was dismayed to see after the fact that they modelled the mood and pace after 2001. Sad

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what the worst part of my entire listening to music experiment was. The best music rythm wise to listen to was techno Mad talk about a reason to throw away your head phones.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I mentioned this in another post, Salazar put in a 35 mile run on his treadmill one time when he was training for the Comrades in 1994. I can't even fathom something like that. And who was the Alaskan women runner who did so much of her training on the treadmill??

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, no wonder he went on Prozac...

Quote:
who was the Alaskan women runner who did so much of her training on the treadmill??

I believe that would be Christine "Chris" Clark.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's on Prozac?? Is he still married to Molly?? I guess you are going to have to start a psychotropic forum!! Surprised Confused Laughing Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big story at the time was Alberto's Prozac usage and an assortment of theories about what role that may have played on his training and impressive, but brief, comeback.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: