Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Racing the 800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am what my teammates call "Super-Distance." I run really well at 5K's but not much faster in shorter events. I seem to be in a rut lately and can't seem to get any better, yet I'm training really well. Is there anyway a 18:48 Cross-Country Runner can finall run a 2:20 half-mile? Any help would be great...
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of training are you doing? what does your average weeks training consist of?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people have trouble with the 800m. What are the best sources of information on the 800 specifically. Most people who write about distance running barely discuss the 800 and most sprint book and tapes don't discuss 800 training at all.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Most training books don't do a real good job of training for the 800, a lot just say to train for it like it's the mile (one of the few things I dislike about Road to the Top by Vigil). Training specificly for Martin and Coe's Better Training For Distance Runner's can be applied to the 800 pretty well although that book can be harder to understand than Bob Dylan after a root canal. Lydiard does give an in depth training program for the half, Running to The Top, although his methods that have enjoyed a resurgance in recent years in distance running haven't caught on for the shorter distances. Bowermans book High Performace Training For Track and Field has as good a section on the 800 as I've seen. Also although Middle Distance is geared towards the 800 I found it to be both redundant and indecipherable.

Back to the question, I see know reason strait away that an 18:48 5k runner can't go 2:20 in the 800 although to say for certain I would need to see your training and what times you've run in the 3200, 1600, 800 and 400.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever happen across anything written by the Brazilian coach (de Olivera?) who coached such studs as Cruz and Barbosa (check the U of Oregon and Lane CC school record lists and you'll see what I mean!!!), it can make for interesting reading. He may well be the most unknown and *best* mid-distance coach ever. I've only seen a couple of short articles from him, though.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out for anything he wrote. I can't say that I've heard of him but if I see any of his writting I'll be sure to check him out.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't say that I've heard of him

My point exactly. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely see DG's point here. How do you tackle the 800m?? Some say from the 400m viewpoint, some say from the 1500m side. And we have seen success from both spectrums. I would like to see Bucher's training regimen.
And as far as Cruz and Barbosa. That was a heady time for the state of Oregon at that time.

"Highway 61 Revisited" Paul Wink Wink

Last edited by Paul on Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some say from the 400m viewpoint, some say from the 1500m side.

I say both. It's right in the middle, both in terms of distance and energy system requirements, so it requires a near perfect blend of speed and endurance. Easier said than done...

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Energy system requirements". Probably one of the least understood topics on this site. Total agreement on the coaching aspects of it.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it depends on who you're training to run the 800. You've got the 400/800 guy, the 800/1500 guy and the 800/800 guy. For the 800/800 guy and the 400/800 guy I like to use a system that resembles what Bowerman laid out in his book, it has a nice balance of speed, endurance and it does relatively few long steady state runs, instead it uses lots of pyramids, and fartleks, this is good for these type of runners because generally they don't enjoy 8-10 miles steady state runs. For the 800/1500 type runner I like using a system primarily based on the Martin and Coe system, but influenced by Vigils system as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: