Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Mental toughness

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Mental Toughness (Hard Headed Reply with quote

During a running of the Laurel Highlands Trail Mountain Challenge, I kept repeating a mantra Rolling Eyes to myself: "Today is the day to run, tomorrow you can hurt, whimper and whine. Crying or Very sad "

In addition, I spent months psyching-up, building images of invulnerability - I also trained like a crazy-man...that might have helped. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During one particularly difficult day of running many summers ago, I repeated to myself the entire time, "hot but not tired, hot but not tired, hot but not tired..." Seemed to work great that day, but I could never rediscover the magic afterward...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Hot but Not Tired Reply with quote

Hey, doesn't anyone out there work for a living? How do you guys find all this time to read and write messages?

Hot, but not tired, huh! I used to tell that to my girlfriend.

When dragg'n *ss, Dan, do you ever use the balloon trick? Visualize a lighter than air balloon fastened to your back, lifting you slightly off the ground, and making running effortless.

Another trick I use, that really works great, is to visualize a stretched elastic band - one end fastened to finish line and the other to my chest. The band pulls me to and across the finish line.

I better stop before I give away all my secrets. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you guys find all this time to read and write messages?

I was going to ask you the same thing... Wink

I work from home, for myself, at my computer, and this site is part of what I consider my work...

I haven't tried either of those tricks, but they sound good.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Get a Job, da-da-Da-da-, da-da-da-DA... Reply with quote

Ditto, Dan. running and writing is what I are. That and building a castle in central Mexico.

I mean castle as in Castle (towers, planked iron studded doors, etc.) There are a few early pictures posted at www.fakefruit.com Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as reading messages, I never log off. I hang on everybody's word, 24/7. But as far as writing, I better hurry up, Mike is going to pass me soon as far as number of posts. By the way Dan, is some kind of Standardized Run-Down Test I can study for to elevate myself from Waterboy to Junior Varsity?? Very Happy
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standardized test is 40 more posts. Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wondered if it was tied to the number of posts, but junk posts here would probably fall in the same catagory as junk miles. Maybe even deleted by the Administrator. Very Happy
Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had the power to delete junk miles once and for all...

Dan
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:33 am    Post subject: Junque Miles Reply with quote

Dan, junk miles (or hours) are the miles you don't run Razz . However, Ralph, Jim and I used to give ourselves half-credit for reading, talking or thinking about running. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: