Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
US Sprinters looking good

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. I figure any time Mo steps on the track he is ready for battle .. Will see about time though .. I believe Montgomery is scheduled to run again this weekend .. And he hasn't been quite so blaxing since the altitude run .. So we will see ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Crawford might be the biggest draw of the lot!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at 9.94 over Montgomery, you just might be right about Crawford .. Still waiting on Mo .. And want to see another 100 (or 200 for that matter) from JJ .. But things are shaping up nicely ...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said early on, everyone best watch out for Justin Gatlin .. This weekend he ran 10.11 (10.07 heat), 13.41 (13.58 heat), and 19.86 (20.28 heat) and a leg on the 4x1 at the SEC championships ... I have no doubt he would have been sub 10 in the 100 had he not been participating in the hurdles ...

This kid is the best thing to come along in quite some time .. I had said earlier that he had 19.70 potential I am norevising that down to 19.50 ..

This probably won't happen this year, but my SUPER CENTURY for the year would be (in no particular order)

Justin Gatlin
Mo Greene
Tim Montgomery
Shawn Crawford
Frank Fredericks
JJ Johnson
Brian Lewis
Kim Collins

Would definitely take 9.8x to win and could possibly push to that new record that everyone keeps talking about ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, that 200 was run with a legal wind, correct? That makes it all the more impressive. Scary how fast Gatlin is improving this year.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 was wind legal .. Well he had a windy 19.86 last year at the NCAAs during the qualifying .. So he really hasn't improved that much .. He was also 10.08 last year (10.05 and 10.00w this year) .. He is very much like Mo Greene in that he seems to always perform well in big meets though ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't remember him running that fast last year. Ok then, I take back all my accolades. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh accolades are in store ... He's just not quite that hidden a talent .. But he just may be the most talented sprinter out there right now .. and THAT is saying a lot ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew he had run around 10.1, but I must've missed his 19.86 or it just slipped my mind like most things do these days. Embarassed For the record, I am aware enough of his talent to not be surprised by his recent performances...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you SUPER Century would be composed of ?????
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too dissimilar from yours. How about:

Maurice Greene
Tim Montgomery
Justin Gatlin
JJ Johnson
Frankie Fredericks
Shawn Crawford
Morne Nagel
Mark Lewis-Francis

Dan
- Ato who?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought of that .. But yur right ... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh...

Quote:
May 14, 2002

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Justin Gatlin, an NCAA and Southeastern Conference champion who runs for Tennessee, has received a two-year conditional suspension after testing positive for amphetamine, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Tuesday.

Gatlin, 20, of Pensacola, Fla., tested positive for the substance in a urine sample taken at the 2001 U.S.A. Track & Field Junior National Championships June 16 in Richmond, Va. Amphetamine, which is banned in athletic competition, was contained in prescription medication Gatlin has been taking for 10 years.

Gatlin must forfeit his first-place finishes in the 100 and 200 meters, and 110-meter hurdles.

Amphetamine, a stimulant, is banned by the International Association of Athletics Federations. The agency said Gatlin stopped taking his prescription medicine several days before the competition, but it did not fully clear his system.

A three-member panel from the North American Court of Arbitration for Sport determined that Gatlin was not trying to cheat, and his mistake was at most a technical violation.

It was the 13th drug suspension announced by the doping agency this year.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, an independent agency funded by the federal government, oversees drug-testing of American athletes.

Sad

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw this ... Ridiculous .. Tired of this crap where someone is taken down down becasue of medicine .. While real cheats get away scott free because they use things that can't even be detected ... The sport deserves the constant black eye it gets ....
JustinC

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

The British skier Alan Baxter was stripped of his bronze medal in the slalom event at the winter Olympics this year for much the same reason. He uses a type of Vicks inhaler which in Europe doesn't contain amphetamine but in the USA does. He didn't know and no-one thinks he's a cheat but he has lost the medal anyway because, and this is the key, he was guilty of an offence just by having the stuff in his system IRRESPECTIVE OF HOW IT GOT THERE.

There is no fault requirement for a doping 'conviction' in sport. You do not have to know you're taking a drug to be guilty. Accidental consumption is no defence to the charge, merely possible mitigation in sentencing.

I am amazed that no athlete has taken the sport to court over this absurdity. The no-fault rule offends every principle of justice - even a drunken driver is not guilty if they had no idea thay'd drunk alcohol.

Justin

PS MLF just ran 10.10 (2.0m/s) in a cold and rainy meeting in Loughborough. That matches his PB. I also see that Darrel Brown of Trinidad, who doesn't turn 18 until October, ran 10.19 recently. He set a world age 15 best of 10.24 last year. MLF's world age 17 best is 10.10 - wonder if Brown can do it? Anyone know anything about him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: