Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
US Sprinters looking good

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race yesterday!Tim Montgomery and
Crawford looked really impressive. I think
Morne Nagel let the pressure get to him.He
will improve in time. I agree with the 200
meter time being MJ like potential!!Two
questions,when is the first major European
race?Also,can any of you please tell me the
addresses to order magazines on sprinting?
Also if you know of any other websites that
deal mainly with sprinting.Its my passion!!
I appreciate it and I will be on this site
all the time.You guys really know your info!
Thanks. Daniel
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the list of meets we're using for the upcoming Fantasy T&F League, which comprises the bulk of the major European season:

http://run-down.com/fantasy/faq.php#meets

I don't know of any magazines that deal primarily with sprinting, nor do I know of any other web sites that focus on that area. You could try what's left of the old Sub10 site...

http://on.starblvd.net/meet/sub10/

At any rate, go ahead and register for this here forum so we recognize you by name when you ramble about your passion! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, welcome to another who enjoys the sprints .. How is it that you got to see the Engen races ?? Like Dan I am unaware of any magazines that deal specifically in sprinting .. Hard enough to find them that deal in track and field .. But we do love to discuss the sport here so welcome .. Smile
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprints look like they are going to be interesting this year for the first time in a few years ... For the past several years the sprints have been about Mo's domination .. and the domination of MJ .. After this weekend things look like they are going to get exciting again ..

Most important to me is the revival of Fank Fredericks who ran 9.94 this weekend and didn't need any altitude to do so ... Much more impressive than Montgomery's 9.94 AND Frank is a veteran who has been there before .. His savvy is what has been missing from those who have been trying to dethrone Mo ... OF course it will still take something fantastic to unseat him or beat him ..

On that note Justin Gatlin showed he is ready to enter the land of the sub 10 and sub 20 .. He has been composed, has 400 strength, and is smooth as silk ...

Crawford looks to have improved his speed to go with his strength .. 19.85 under any conditions makes him a legitimate contender .. Although his talk of sub 19 is laughable .. He and Montgomery both need to talk less and run more .. While both are on the cusp, they haven't arrived yet Smile ... At least to the level of stardom .. But both seem to have aspirations ..

And I can't forget about Mark Lewis Francis who ran 10.14 this past weekend .. Bodes well for him as well as it is near his 10.10 PR and very early in the season ..

I would expect that Zurich or Rome or Lausanne will have a very fast race this year if not all 3 ... And with the right group on the track the WR for 100 could be approached ... No rounds on a nice fast track wiht great competitors .. Smile And I would suspect some nice show down races in between ... Might be better than a championships year ....
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little off topic, but I've been wondering who is Bruny Surin? I saw a Nike add the other day that had his HS pr in the 100m listed as 10.14. With a HS time like this I would think that even someone that spends most of his time in 800 and up land like myself would have heard of this guy. The picture didn't look that old so I wouldn't think that he was before my time. So whatever happened to the guy?

Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruny Surin is a Canadian sprinter that has had a pretty good career .. Came along after Ben Johnson and before Donovan Bailey .. Is still competing as far as I know .. Although he has had some injury problems the past few seasons .. Was runner up to Bailey in the 95 Worlds 100 .. And was runner up to Greene in the 99 Worlds in his PR 9.84 (Greene ran 9.80) .. I blieve he has a World indoor 60 title but can't remember exactly which year at the moment ..
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruny Surin is a Canadian sprinter that has had a pretty good career .. Came along after Ben Johnson and before Donovan Bailey .. Is still competing as far as I know .. Although he has had some injury problems the past few seasons .. Was runner up to Bailey in the 95 Worlds 100 .. And was runner up to Greene in the 99 Worlds in his PR 9.84 (Greene ran 9.80) .. I blieve he has a World indoor 60 title but can't remember exactly which year at the moment ..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the latest with Ato Bolodon?I think
hes still ranked in the top 5 by the IAAF.
Is he capable of maybe pushing Maurice
Greeme amd Tim Montgomery?Im not sure
although when hes on look out.I still thing
2002 will be the a year mixed with the
veteran sprinters and the young ones.I
think Marcus Brunson out of ASU could make
some noise.He best is a 10.00 Anyway you
look at it 2002 will be exciting!!!

Daniel
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - 2002 is looking like it will be exciting .. As for Boldon, I don't know .. He obviously has the potential .. He has run several times under 9.90 .. and he runs fast often .. But he seems to have trouble winning races .. He always finishes high .. But seldom in front since his loses at Atlanta and the emergence of Mo .. But he does help make any race faster ...

I like Brunson .. I've seen him run a few times .. Actually nice technique .. Not sure if he is sub 10 material though ..

I do think the sprints are going to be hot htis year .r. MOstly because no one has to hold back while waiting for "the big one" .. They can pick races in Europe that they want to focus on and just go for it ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how good Gatlin is looking, I just hope he has something left after the collegiate season to strut his stuff in Europe...

Not only did Frankie run some fast times, but he won both the 100 and the 200 by close to a second!

Not sure I know what to make of Boldon these days. I always expect fast times from him, but I'm not sure I even view him as a finalist in big meets any more.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Justin
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news would be much appreciated - with tilastopaja down I'm bereft of sprint news...

Justin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not sure what you do or don't know ..

2 weeks ago Montgomery ran 9.94 at altitude .. Fredericks did the same at less altitude .. JJ Johnson ran 9.95 same week end no altitude .. Shawn Crawford ran 9.99 in the Montgomery race .. Then came back and ran 19.85 .. All f these races had legal wind ..

Mean while .. Young Mr Gatlin ran a 10.00 / 20.06 double .. The 100 slightly windy (I believe 2.2) the 200 legal ..

Both Montgomery and Crawford began wild WR talk ..

Back on the track however, there was more action this past weekend .. Most notable being the Penn Relays .. Montgomery continues to call out Greene .. They meet on the anchor of the 4x1 .. But Monty's team had already blown the race open on the second leg .. Greene runs to finish .. Monty runs trying to make a name .. Monty crows afterwards ..

In Martinique Ato Bolden can't make the final as he runs 10.3x (8 or 9 I believe) .. Brian Leiws wins in 10.08 over Fredericks in 10.12 who confirms his fitness ..

More later ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems we should start a sprint news source here. Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well next on the news front .. From what I hear, Mo and Monty are suppoed to go at it in the next 2 weeks .. Anyone care to "wager" (using the term loosely) as to who will come out victorious .. Have my own thoughts but would rather hear yours first !!!

Also, the NCAA's are soon .. What do ya'll think about the NCAA sprints .. SEems to me that the title is going to go to sprint strength this year ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Maurice is healthy, I think he's too much of a competitor to get beat. The time could be blazing, though!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: