Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Will someone please explain to me all about Steens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to know where the campers stay, and what the accomadations/events that go on are, please be fairly descriptive if you have time because I wish to know everything about it. Thank you very much.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never attended the Steens camp, but I know several people that are regulars. My impression is that the camp is more about character building than just running, although there is plenty of that. I'm not sure I know enough about it to give a broad, sweeping description, though. Any other specific questions?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mean more about character building than ruinning? As far as specific questions, just where campers stay, the accomadations(by that I mean facilities) and I guess I would like to know the various non-running camp events (such as sing-alongs, dances, etc.). Thank you.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what I mean, that's just what I've been told. Smile I'll have to defer to someone with first hand experience to answer your questions... If you want to send me an email, I can give you the phone number of the camp director.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your email?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you found it. Smile

Dan
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've camped and hiked at Steens Mt. and I have a friend who takes her HS cross country kids over there. From what I understand they stay at Jackman Park and run uphill from there for their training runs. I can't remember exactly how high Jackman is, but it's around 8k ft. The road is a well-maintained gravel lane and goes up to 9200 ft (highest maintained road in Oregon). They run from the camp, which is primitive. There are a couple of outhouses (newer plastic jobs and well cared for) and the "shower" facility consists of a run down to Fish Lake and jump in. As far as I'm concerned, anybody who jumps in that lake comes out with some well-built characater. Wink

Sorry I don't know much about the sing-alongs, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, is there any way you could email him for me and show him my question..... I am kinda nervous to email him out of the blue.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who am I talking to...? With anonymous posts and non-matching IP addresses, ya gotta give me some indication if I'm talking to a different person or not... Wink

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you much info about the camping facilities, but there is a 10K race at the Steens every August. The weather can get so bizarre there, that in the 1999 race they actually experienced a white out 3 miles from the top. So make sure you are prepared for weather from 35 to 90. For a link that will give you a roundup of the races and some incredibly colorful commentary on nearly everything concerning running (you think the people on this site have some issues with Runners World!!), go to 10ktruth.com. I eventually ended up at Run-Down from a link at the 10ktruth.com website.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Steens Camp is in July, so I'm guessing the 10k race is not associated with it. It's the first I've heard of the race, at any rate.

Dan
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bend.k12.or.us/shs/xc/misc/steens.htm this link describes the camp (Kelly Sullivan was my coach at Clackamas CC in the early eighties, before moving on to Auburn). It is usually the last week of July, first week of August and the 10k race, called the Steens Mountain Rim Run (or something close to that) is the first weekend in August.

I heartily recommend the trip. This is one of my top favorite places in Oregon, both for the sheer beauty and the low traffic the place gets. Beautiful and isolated are great combinations, except in the woman you marry. Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world...

Thanks for that link, I've added it to the Training Resources/Camps directory so other people can find it easier.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why my IP address would be different, but all these posts are me. Maybe I did one at school or something. I am the original poster and posted all the guest posts on this string.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. If you're with AOL or some other ISPs, your IP address changes constantly...

I actually don't know Harland at all, so it wouldn't be any better coming from me.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: