Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Increasing my 400 and 800

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like some help. Last year I ran a :54 400m and a 2:06 800m. I'd like to get my 400m to around a 50, and my 800m under 2:00. The only training I did last year (honestly) was pole vaulting. I'd go to practice and vault. When I was done vaulting, I'd go home. That's it. NO, I mean absolutely NO running except the sprints down the runway. I love the vault, but realistically I've got more of a chance to do something huge in those two events. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no training those times are exceptional, imagine how good you would be when you train properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Last nite I ran 2 miles at 6min pace, then an 800 in 2:30, just for more info on gauging where I am right now, please help...thanks!

Jeremy
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think firstly the most important thing to do is get yourself into a training group with a good coach. Training with others will help you improve and your coach will give you advice on what training you need to be doing to reach or even better your target times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't run with a group, I lose focus. I've got this goal, and with people around I don't push myself as hard. Nobody can push themselves like I can (in my school). I'm a wrestler and pride myself on my mental toughness and stamina. I don't/can't give up. I push 'til I puke. Here's a sample workout I'll probably do once or twice a week, it's a ladder program.
**(S=sprint, W=walk)
S100, W100, S200, W200, S300, W300, S400, W400, S500, W500, S600, W600, S500, W500, S400, W400, S300, W300, S200, W200, S100, Recovery jog. Total workout - 7200M, or 4.5 Miles. I dont include the warmup or cool down in the workout, I run until I feel loose.
**I was told once that the workout I do is supposed to be 1.5 times the race length, but I'm not sure about that. Any help once again is greatly appreciated

Jeremy

[ This Message was edited by: NYIntensity on 2002-03-12 09:51 ]
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the total workout distance (intervals) should be closer to 2x the race distance you are preparing for. However, given your 1.5x comment and interval workout totaling 3600m (recovery distance doesn't count), I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what exactly you think you're accomplishing... You're supposedly training for 400/800, not a 2k. Smile That isn't bad as an endurance-oriented workout for the 800, but it isn't likely to be very speed specific.

What pace are you running? I have a feeling it's significantly slower than 25-30 seconds per 200m, which is the pace you are hoping to run.

I concur with Shaun that a coach and training partners are essential to doing your best. I know people that are good at training alone, but I don't believe anyone can truly train better alone than with a group. If you don't push hard enough running with people, then you're probably running with the wrong people...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm training...so I'm not running dead on the pace I'm going to race at. The intervals are to 1) help me get back in shape and 2) get some speed. I'm able to run a :13 100m, so I'm not so worried about the speed as I am conditioning. If I can keep that up for anything over a lap, I'll accomplish my goal. I didn't ask for my workout to be ridiculed, I asked for an actual workout. I really dont know how to train for the event(S), and thats why I asked for help, and posted a possible workout.

Jeremy
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure Dan didnt mean to ridicule your work-out. Your work out will help get you into shape but i think the best thing you can do is talk to a coach in detail about where you are now and where you want to be, after this your coach will suggest the training you should be doing.
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coach is an idiot. That's why I came on here. Because he's a good jumper and hurdler. Thats it. Not a runner at all. I'm asking for advice...so far this is what I've come up with:

Mon. 2mi run (12-13min)
Tues. 4mi run (easy pace)
Wed. Speed/weight room. 16 100ms (12-13s) or 8 200m (25-27s)
Thurs. 2mi run (12-13min)
Fri. Speed (100-500 ladder and down, 100s 12-14s, 200s 25-27s, 300s 45-47s, 400s 1:02-1:04, 500s 1:16-1:1Cool
Sat. 2mi run (12-13min)
Sun.-Rest
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that training plan seems ok to get you into shape. the only thing i would change is instead of 2miles (12-13mins) on a monday i would do some strength work like hill work - sprints up a short hill(50m-100m) with jog down the hill recovery, gradually building up the number of hills you do each week.
NYIntensity
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! I actually have a decent hill nearby for that, too.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,

Sorry if you thought I was ridiculing your workout. That wasn't my intent at all. However, anyone who has read much of what I have written is well aware (painfully so?) that I don't mince words... In my opinion, if you don't have thick enough skin to have your workouts analyzed in a public forum, you are probably in the wrong place.

Anyway, my point was simply that your posted workout doesn't do much work specifically geared toward your chosen events. You are asking how to train and what workouts to do, yet you have preconceptions that seem to indicate you already think you know the correct answers (not that you necessarily don't), which makes it a bit difficult to offer advice...

Quote:
I'm training...so I'm not running dead on the pace I'm going to race at.

That's a common misconception, if you ask me. Training should always be geared toward the pace you plan on racing at. Too many people wait until the last few weeks of the season to sharpen, at which point they have to cut volume severely and risk injury because of under-trained (for speed) legs. Work on race-specific pace throughout the year, and you can control tapers much better and avoid many of the racing injuries.

Shaun's on the right track. As long as you aren't racing right now, you can fit in a third hard workout on Monday. As for Wednesday's workout, I think 16x100 is too much. If you can really maintain a pace as fast as 12-13 seconds for that many, I would recommend cutting it down to 8-10 of them and trying to hold pace through 150m.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: