Distance Den
1995 - The Year of Distance Running

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think more of influence and then success .. As you mentioned they were visited by Lee Evans for quite some time in the late 60's early 70's .. I doubt if Lee was advocating distance running .. Smile And that was at the time when they were just getting involved in the world scene .. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression of Evan's comments was that he saw them as very competent athlets already, just not refined enough to compete at the highest level. I don't quite see that applying to the Kenyans in the sprints... The second part maybe, but the first?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My refernce being more in line with the fact that Evans would not have looked at / nor tried ot teach distance running .. His interest was sprints .. So he only looked at tham in terms of sprinting ability .. And only trained the same ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, hardly a clinical study. He specifically mentioned their body types and how well it would translate to sprinting if trained better, but I suppose that doesn't really say anything other than that some of the West Africans happened to have a sprint build... Conclude what you will. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe thought for another thread, but I would think that there are a few different sprint body types and that one or more woudl be conducive to middle distance running as well .. Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, I would figure the power types (Greene, Christie, Bailey, Boldon, Drummond, etc.) would best be suited for the short sprints while the lankier types (Lewis, Fredericks, Tommie Smith?) are good candidates for moving up. However, the recent discussion about bulky sprinters such as John Regis and Lewis-Francis being well suited for the 200 makes me wonder if body type matters all that much for choosing a specific sprint event. After all, some of the 400 runners (and 800 runners on the women's side) are built much thicker than many top 100 types.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the more slightly built sprinters could run just about anything .. Including long distances .. But it is surprising what some of the "bulkier" sprinters can do .. The "extreme" case that comes to mind is on the women's side - Jarmila Kratochvilova .. Her PR's are as follows .. 11.07 / 21.97 / 47.99 / 1:53.28 ... Not bad range .. And the 800 is STILL the women's WR ..

Historically the 200 & 400 sprinters were the power sprinters .. Strength moreso than speed endurance was the big factor .. Speed endurance is a more "modern" phenomenon in the sprints - modern being say from 80's forward ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: