Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Beginning runner

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 1999 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started running a month ago. I need to run 2 miles in 19 minutes. This seems impossible for me. I have gotten down to 24 minutes. It seems like I am always running out of breath and I get cramps in my side. I do not have a coach, or a training partner. I am looking for advice on how to train more efficiently. If there is anyone that can help me, please answer.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to begin...? What sort of running are you doing now? Whenever you have a specific time goal in mind, you should base your training around reaching and holding that pace. There are two basic approaches to accomplish this:

One, run as long as you can at 9:30 per mile pace, steadily upping the distance until you can hold it for two miles.

Two, get some mileage under you belt. Get your aerobic ability to the point where two or three miles feels like just a warmup. At that point, you can concentrate on increasing the pace and getting to where you want to be.

Of course, you can always mix these methods to varying degrees. If you've only been running a month, the key is to just run right now. That will help you more than any specific regimen.

Hope that helps,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add, if you're looking for a training partner, I've got just the thing for you!! Wink Check out The Training Partner/Resource Locator. Depending on your locale, there might just be someone in there already looking for a training partner as well. And if not, someone might find you down the road if you add yourself to the database.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't checked out the Training Partner Locator in the past week, it's received a major facelift (not completely finished), and some moderate functionality boosts.

Enjoy,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know a few things. I started running about 3 months ago. When I first started to run I really hated it because I felt like I was going to fall out and die. Now I love it!! I have picked up mileage (3) miles and I run uphill & downhill doing my run, but it takes me 30 minutes. Is this good timing are should I run (3) miles in less time? By the way I run three day a week. Should I shoot for 4 days a week?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Sabrina DuBois']

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know a few things. I started running about 3 months ago. When I first started to run I really hated it because I felt like I was going to fall out and die. Now I love it!! I have picked up mileage (3) miles and I run uphill & downhill doing my run, but it takes me 30 minutes. Is this good timing are should I run (3) miles in less time? By the way I run three day a week. Should I shoot for 4 days a week?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about pace, days per week, and mileage is that no one can really tell you what you should do without knowing what your goals are. If you simply want to run for the enjoyment of it, do as much (or as little) as you want, at what ever pace you want.

I would suggest that if you enjoy running that much and have reached a comfort zone with your current level, you should add an additional day each week, or raise your mileage slightly. Just don't do too much, too soon...

Also, I wouldn't dwell on pace unless you decide to run a race and want to hit a certain time. Then you'll want to start preparing to hold a pace for the race distance.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i started runnin and i need to run two miles in under 12:45. I tried and the best i can do is 17:47, i need to improve greatly....any help u can give?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just gotten the itching to start training. I want to train to run for speed and distance. Mostly to get fit. I think it will give me something to work for and it will also be something I could feel success in. I just have no idea where to begin. Should I just go outside and run until I can't run any more, should I pace myself slowly at first or drive myself hard. Is there any set rules on how often, how long, and how fast to run when your just starting? Thanks, I think this web site is great!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'chelly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelly,

Glad to hear the running bug has got ya'. I would consider speed and distance to be an admirable ultimate goal, but maybe a little too much to ask for right off the bat.

There are no set rules regarding how one should run, but there are guidelines that work for the majority of people. The main one would be to start easy and build slowly. You may feel great the first day out, but those non-running muscles will probably kick in a day or two later. The first week or two, I would recommend running an amount and at a pace that feels far too easy. The second part of the "rule" is to only increase your total mileage 10% a week. I know this doesn't seem like much, especially when the total is small to begin with, but many people get injured or burnt out if they don't heed it.

This also sort of answers the question of speed vs. distance. Think of it as too much quality all at once. My leaning is toward building quantity off of the quality faster running, but I'm more of a sprint-minded distance runner. Wink

Glad you like The Run-Down!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to start running and I want to start running in races but I don't know of any im my area. I live in Detroit Michigan. can you help me? please E-mail me. Thank you. Lipz169@aol.com

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tiffany Demko']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tiffany,

My advice would be to check out the Michigan clubs section of the running links (there are 10 of them listed) and visit a few of their sites. Most running clubs have a calendar of upcoming events, so that should get you started.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dan,

I run alone and need some experienced advices.
I run for couple of months now.
I rapidly (in 3 times) reached the point where I could run 5K(30-40MN including warm-up and cool down in walking), and 10K( ~1hour ):

-I run 2 to 3 times a week, I tried every week days,I just couldn't, I didn't arrive to run,...too painful: how can I be able to run more times a week ?

-Second, I arrived to increase the distance but never the speed, otherwise I loose my breath for good and I really have to forgot running for the day. I tried very hard.
How can I increase the speed ?

- Third, yersterday I tried 10K and added 1,5 miles( may be 2) ). I was dead,I thought I would never arrived to come back in running, It was a real fight. I am still dead today, my tendon on the upper foot is burning and my whole body is just... pain.
How is it so little more miles could have ruined me like this ? Did a reach my break point, how can I work on it ?

Thanks for all answers, everyone is welcomed,
See you.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Carole']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 1999 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carole,

I think the key to your questions is varying distance. Instead of running 3 miles each day, run 4-5 miles one day, an easy two mile the next day, and a fast 3 miles the next day, for example. This will help you get more days in, will improve your conditioning more, and might reduce some of the soreness.

Dan
sgp
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2000 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dan,

I am needing to prepare for a race that is 9.3 miles. The race is on March 4th. Currently, I can run about 3.5 miles in approximately 35 minutes. Is my goal of running that race attainable? I have seven weeks to prepare. I would like to get faster as well as increase my distance by at least a mile per week. Should I also add weight training to my daily schedule so that I may reach my goal?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sincerely Determined
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2000 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The only real relation between pace and distance is that the faster the run (relative to your ability), the shorter the amount of time you will be able to hold that pace. The pace you can run for 3.5 miles does not affect whether you can run 9.3 miles, rather how fast you can run it. Make sense?

What's the max distance you can run now? My feeling is that you'd better be comfortable with a 10 mile run by March 4th. The reason is that invariably, people will go faster in a race, so you need to have experienced runing at least that far to not be in "double-shock." Depending on your current mileage, the recommended level for increasing is 10% per week. Keep in mind that for a week or two prior to the race you want your mileage to level off or decrease, so don't count that period into your build-up.

I'm all for weight training, but if you haven't done it previously, and especially if you're increasing mileage at the same time, add it into the routine very gradually.

Hope this helps,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: