Training Talk
Favorite Workout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its more for the 800 as i've just moved up from 400 hurdles and its a session to get my body use to the lactic again.
At the moment we doing the 10x400 which i hate and just can get use too range from 66-71. Just look forward to the 5-1 session more my area.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. The 10x400 seems more oriented to the 1500m, which fits with the background of your coach. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first session of 5,4,3,2,1 and the weather was terrible the wind was blowing a gale so not too disappointed with the results.
500 predict 73 ran 71
400 "" 55/57 ran 56
300 "" 41/43 ran 40
200 "" 26/28 ran 25

Again without and getting use to the session lookin to run 1-3 sec on the 5 and 4 and 2 to 3 on the 300 and 200. Then once thats done the session doubles
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good stuff! When's your first race?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not until mid april unless i do a warm up race ie a 600 or 1000. But no plans at the moment.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For longer events like 8k-12k I like mile repeats at goal race pace with progression of increasing reps and decreasing res throughout the season, generally done once every other week. As for shorter events (at least in my world) for 800-mile I like sets of 300 meter repeats at or near race pace. Sets of usually two for 800 three to four for 1500-Mile with short rest in between reps and a full-nearly full recovery between sets.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many sets are you recommending?

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what stage the athlete is in in training. For runners that are aready pretty fit for 800 runners three sets, if they are working at race pace. If they are working at a percentage four to five. For mile if they are doing three per set usually four to five, if they are running a percentage up to six. If they are doing four per then four sets if they are running at pace, and again up to six if they are running a percentage of race pace.

eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good session is the one we are on at the moment which suits me more being a 400 hurdler moving back up to 800.

6x200 with 1 min rec time were running range from 25 - 26. later on goes to 8 in quicker times. I'm looking to be running mid april all in under 25.5
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Favorite Workout Reply with quote

My favorite workout is eating spareribs and drinking dark beer. Next to that, it is circuit training for the legs, immediately after my long run of the week.

I do 1/2 squats, leg extensions, leg curls and leg presses, continuously, without rest, for thirty minutes to an hour, immediately after the weekly two and a half hour run through the hills.

The 1/2 squats are performed with heels elevate about and inch, and I use no weights. The other exercises are performed on a weight machine.

Why do I like it? Confused Masochist, I guess. Actually I enjoy working my muscles to the near limit, and this routine does not pound the bones like excess running might. Ah, the truth is, I just enjoy it. Very Happy Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Workout Reply with quote

training2run wrote:
My favorite workout is eating spareribs and drinking dark beer.

Sounds like we've discoverd a new training technique!

I should use it as the basis for a book "How to run a 35 minute 5k: Assuming you're a 17 flat right now" Wink
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Right, we need another book! Reply with quote

Of course, my distance isn't 5K, it's ultra-distance mountain trail running and multi-day races.

I'll tell you, those barbecued ribs really stick to the ribs...but the beer tends to foam and go up your nose. Laughing

During the ten day (100 degree plus, 450 mile plus) trans-Indiana run, some of us actually stopped just after sunup for big sausage and egg breakfasts. Yummy, but this is not for everyone. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tip my cap to you. Cool

I considered running an ultra once, then the doctor decided it was time to change my meds Wink I'm kidding of coarse.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Hat Tipping Reply with quote

Thanks, but don't tip your hat, call the guys in the white coats. The only thing it takes to run an ultra is love of pain (or lack of brains) Laughing .

In our case (Ralph and I), we came to the realization that we would never be world beaters in the marathon, even though the marathon had become a "piece 'o cake" for us.

We figured if we entered longer and longer (tougher and tougher) races, we'd finally reach a level where our competition either dropped dead or dropped out. Unfortuately, it didn't work out that way.

The tougher the race, the smaller the field - but that field was just as tough as ever. I have, however, discovered another solution - out live the competition.

Now that I've entered the ranks of mega-masters, ultra-masters (or "older than dirt") it's finally becoming easier and easier to win races. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this post!!! Very Happy Very Happy
I like getting these ideas and then figuring how they might fit into my own routine. I liked Hammer's and DG's best. Dan, you can be more creative than 400's, can't you?? Wink
That's why I like Sandrock's book. Because there are so many training ideas.
One of my favorite workouts is the Prefontaine 40-30 session. Pre and his U of O teamates would run continuous 40 sec 30 sec 200m's until they couldn't hold that pace any longer. The reasoning behind it was that the faster 200's would be faster than race pace and the slower 200's wouldn't be slow enough to recover, but you would be forced to learn how to float and relax. One time Pre managed 18 laps. Naturally I have to cut this way down to my level of speed, but the times I have done it has provided me with a great workout.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: