Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Starting Back.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
preshort
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Can anybody help me, I am 19 and I ran XC and Track in high school.

I am in college now and with school work, work and moving I have not been able to run for like 4 months.

I have run low 16s for 5K and about 4:40 in the mile, but I doubt if I could run a low 18 in the 3-mile now.

The sad thing is is that I ran both of those times during my 4.2 mile leg of a relay marathon in May(4:40 for the first mile and about 16:20 for the first 5K)and now I doubt I could even get close to running the times I used to run in practice in May.

Please help me on how to start back and what to do because I still want to become an awesome runner and I believe I have the potential to, I just need some help getting started(i.e. should I just work on getting a base with some long-slow-distance or does anyone have a better suggestion)or maybe just a little encouragement or something, by the way that relay marathon is the Beach to Bay Relay Marathon in Corpus Christi, TX and I am running in it again in May 2002 and I would like to be faster than a was last time.

Can anybody help???
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joke of the things is that I was close to sub 16 for 5,000 at 16 as well. Now, I am in the late 20's +50lbs., and not able to lose it for the last two years...
...The bi'ach of the things, in sports and life, is that if you lay something off, you usually are unable to do it later. It is like in this hypothetical anecdote about a high school graduate, with a sub 100 points IQ, who got suckered by the phonies into going to college, and broke his leg three times, instead of grabbing one mil from NFL, and living happily ever after...(If my child, assuming I will have one, went to college FIRST instead of grabbing the big money FIRST, assuming God and fate would grant them with an opportunity, I would kick his/her ass).
...The worst is that when you (or I for that matter) were between 12 and 18, you grow fast and your hormones go crazy, so if you get injured one day, next day you are healthy, and ready for another back braking work-out, but when you get little older you have to wait a couple days, if not a couple weaks to heal...
...However, if I were you, I would not give up. It probably will get you longer to get back to the same level as before, now, but if you will learn how to enjoy the process per se, you should do all right.
All Best
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite an aside on the college vs. pro bit. Smile I think I'll steer clear of that one...

Quote:
with school work, work and moving I have not been able to run for like 4 months

Well, I'm known for saying what people don't want to hear, so I won't disappoint. Wink That's utter nonsense, I'm sorry to say. School and work are no excuse for not running for 4 months. There's no shortage of examples of people doing the best in school when they are in season. No, 4 months of inactivity is explained by only one thing -- a lack of motivation. Sad

Motivation is something I believe can only come from within. External sources of motivation will fail as soon as the source is removed, so it needs to start with you getting your running shoes on and moving your butt out the door on a daily basis. It really is that simple. All the training plans in the world will be 100% worthless if you aren't first dedicated to making it happen, so keep it simple and just get on out there and get back into it! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
preshort
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Hey man, I think that you said exactly what I needed to hear. All of my high school team mates are also my best friends and they are, I guess, afraid to say that or something. But I am glad you said that because I knew that but I did not want to admit to myself that I was just being lazy. Thanks for pointing that out to me!! Please always tell me exactly what you think!

Should I just get back out there and start having fun with it? I mean that is why I run anyway, because it is extremely fun to me anyway. Thanks Dan, I am the kind of runner that needs to be told to just get off my tail and run. Thanks man!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you weren't offended. Smile

Quote:
Should I just get back out there and start having fun with it?

Definitely. Very few of us make a living through the sport, so there aren't many good reasons to participate other than enjoyment and satisfaction. Re-discover that source of fun and don't look back!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: