Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Goodwill Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how much the sport is in need of money and the appearance of profitability, it's a shame that that much money pretty much went to waste by being distributed at meets that are going to be remembered for high school caliber performances.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly ... How about THIS for an idea ?? Instead of having a Grand Prix Final, how about a Grand Prix Bonus event ?? At the end of each season have a lottery to determine what the next season's bonus meet will be .. The lottery will be among ALL Grand PRix events on the calendar (except Golden League) .. From all meets a single meet is chosen through lottery .. That meet would be given teh $3 million that would have beeen spent on the Grand Prix Final .. And all points earned in THAT meet would count DOUBLE !!! So what happens is you increase visibility of a meet somewhere in the world each year .. Top athletes would almost be assured of showing up given the pot of money now available AND the bonus points .. Imagine the Stanford or North CArolina meets winning this "lottery" !!! A truly world class event right nere on our own soil that is not an Olympics or Worlds .. The meet would be eld at its normal time each year which would assure that the athletes aren't driven to compete well past whta should have been the end of the season .. I think it would be a win - win for every one ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! That has a lot of potential. The main thing I would be inclined to change is to have the lottery meets be primarily during the European season so as to ensure the top flight athletes are all in good enough shape to show up and put on a good show. There may be some redundancy to having a Grand Prix event carry lottery status, but imagine the quality of the fields if the idea behind the Goodwill Games materialized in the form of an already prestigious European venue!!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea huh ?? I still would not have a problem with the meet beign non-European .. Almost would prefer it .. Given that the lottery would take place at the end of the preceeding season, Athletes would know when the meet would be held, and would be able to prepare to compete .. Given the amount of money we would be talking about, you would be almost guaranteed that the worlds best athletes would compete .. And you would begin to build up meets that have not yet reached the prestige of some of the already big European meets .. I just think it has a lot of potential .. And that a lot of positives could be obtained ... Again, could you imagine a world class competition in the United States that isn't the Olympics ?? Or in Rio de Janiero (sp?) ??
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not to let this die, should we try to submit this to the IAAF or USATF or someone ?? It really seems such a waste that so much money was spent on just poor competition at the end of the season .. Sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is definitely worthwhile, but I wonder how good the odds are of getting it in front of someone who has the ability or inclination to run with it? I can think of a few noteworthy people on the t-and-f list, plus media contacts with USATF and IAAF, but I'm not sure who the best point of contact would be. Maybe a summary of this discussion to the t-and-f list with a plea to pass it along to anyone relevant? An article submission to Runner's World online might gain an excellent level of viewership, but it isn't always easy to get a response from them. However, I do have a contact... Wink

It's easy to talk about doing things to help, but this really could be an opportunity to go beyond talk...

Dan

[ This Message was edited by: Dan on 2001-09-20 22:38 ]
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am serious abou this .. And it would be an opportuntiy to try to help ... But I agree that it would be very important as to whom the idea is presented to .. What do you think ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably isn't the sort of thing that should be discussed in a public forum (names of who to contact, that is), so maybe we ought to take it to email? If anyone can think of good outlets to contact, either post them here if they don't need to be kept "anonymous" or send me an email at my address linked in my profile.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree .. This should be an email ocnversation .. Let me know when you want to discuss it further ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the games begin! Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: