Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Goodwill Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little more than a week away, this could prove to be the most outstanding meet of the season .. Berlin will suffer from the gold distribution already being fairly well decided .. I think many will be getting ready for the upcoming 5 million being available in Brisbane .. Smile

A Greene vs Mongomery battle would be exciting .. As would one last Borzakovsky vs Bucher race .. Dragila could lead another nice Pole Vault competition .. And I would love to see a healthy Taylor go at FElix Sanchez .. I think the two could push it close to the 47.00 barrier if both are healthy ..

And does anyone know who is scheduled to run the 200 for the men ?? Anyone else wonder what a race with JJ Johnson, Bernard Williams and Konstantin Kederis would look like ?? Johnson has yet to prove consistency, but Williams definitely has and KEderis seems to like big meets .. Could make for a barn burner if they could be brought together ..

Conway
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed athletes list is up at the Goodwill games site .. Looks like the World Championships without the rounds Smile .. Notable missing persons being Borzakowsky, ElG, and Kederis .. But Greene and Montgomery are both listed .. As are Taylor and Sanchez .. And interestingly enough Ngeny and Lagat - I would think Elg would love one more shot at Ngeny who beat him at the Olympics ..

Boulami and the Kenyans should make for an interesting race as I am sure they are not happy about haveing THEIR WR taken away .. Also think a race between a healthy Mo Greene and Mongomery with Boldon and Williams thrown in for good measure could lead to some magical things ..

Any predictions as to the most outstanding performance or performer of the meet ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, this sounds good. Smile The more I see of multi-day championship meets, the more I realize I much prefer one or two day affairs. Unless I know someone competing, what do I care who jogged through the rounds and who ran like there was no tomorrow only to get eliminated in the prelims??? More events seem to dilute the interest, not spark it...

I wonder how much air time MJ will get?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure MJ will get plenty of air time .. Unfortunately .. HE spends as much time putting the other athletes donw as he does commentating ..

I too prefer the one or two day format .. I had hoped that the Goodwill Games would have sparked some changes in the World Championships .. It's nice that eveyone gets to send someone to the Worlds, but at some point would be nice to have a real World Championships - with only the best in attendance .. Then the rounds have very significant meaning .. I could watch a week long event that had the possibility of eliminating 10.10 sprinters in the first round .. Or where you had to run 1:45 in the first or second round to stay on the track .. The Olympics are there to insure good will .. Ironically it seems the Goodwill games are there to insure high level competition ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what we're looking for is the sprinters from the US champs and the mid-distance and distance runners from the north/east African champs? That would be an event to watch! Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. More like sprinters from the US, Great Britain, and the Carribean nations .. Mid and distance from Africa .. And field events from Europe .. Of coure there will always be the odd ones from just about any where that make it in every event .. But those would probably be the dominate areas of concentration ... Yeah would be a hell of a competition .. Imagine the possibility of 5 sub 10s in a semi with someone NOT making the final !!! Or 13:15 NOT making a 5000 final !!! Now that is competition .. I could almost guarantee a world record being set somewhere during the meet .. It might have to be dnoe in order to guantee getting into a final ..

Sort of like the state high school championships here in California .. Often some of the best competition takes place BEFORE the final, with individuals trying NOT to get shut out ..

And is it any wonder that state meets likes ours and texas' are among the best attended evnts in the country - at any level !!!

Competition draws ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many/most of the top Caribbean sprinters run for the US, Great Britain, or Canada... Smile

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably already seen the press release on the track list, but Maurice is apparently not running the Goodwill Games. Injury hasn't fully recovered. Sad

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the press release .. But I have it from an inside source that it is not over just yet for Mo .. He may be there but isn't 100 % yet .. They still have a week ..

Will also give you another tid bit .. Capel is going back into track training next month .. But don't spread it around yet ..

As for Carribean sprinters, I don't think Britain or Canada has anay sprinters that are "home grown" .. All immigrants .. Wasn't aware we had many here in the States ..

If Mo is not at Goodwill the time changes a lot .. Mo makes it a low 9.8 to potential record race without Mo I say it is 9.90 to 9.94 .. And I am saying that MOntgomery DOESN'T win it .. With or without Mo ..
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a lot more tuned in to sprinters than I am so I wanted to ask...whatever happened to Irina Privalova from Russia? Injuries? Age?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privoliva got injuried, following her breakthrough hurdling season. I believe it was over the winter, and I'm drawing a blank on what the actual injury was. Hamstring or possibly ACL?

Quote:
Capel is going back into track training next month .. But don't spread it around yet ..

That's very good news, but I think you just let the cat out of the bag. Smile

I remember seeing a list a few years back of the elite and near-elite sprinters that hailed from Jamaica. Shocking, to say the least. The US had quite a few on the list who I didn't know were Jamaican, and of course no longer remember... Inger Miller's dad, if you want to count that. I believe one of the women 400 hurdlers; Farmer-Patrick?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privalova had a muscle injury - I believe hamstring .. She was debating about trying to double over the 400/400H or move up to the 800 .. I'd love to see her in the 400 .. I bet she could be as good as Juantorena or Kratochvilova as a 400/800 doubler .. The hurdles just seems like a waste of her speed ..

As for the Carribeans, Miller's dad ran for USC but represented Jamaica in the Olympics twice .. And Farmer Patrick was a Jamaican who married an American (David Patrick)and thus got her citizenship ..I know that Jerome Young has Jamaican roots .. But not aware of any others - doesn't mean tehy don't exist .. We have had many Jamaicans in our colleges competing and a few Bahamians .. Ato Boldon of course is from Trinidad although he has spent most of his life in the states .. And 76 100 gold medallist Hasely Crawford was also from Trinidad and competed collegiately in the United States ..

As for Capel .. Keep it hush hush .. Don't want my sources clamming up on me .. Smile
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRack and Field is almost ready to start .. NO comments or predictions yet ??
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the games have started .. And do they seem to be alet down at this point or is it just me ?? No Angelo Taylor .. No Thanou .. NObody in the quarter (men or women) .. And it is only Day 1 ..

Impressed with Jenny Adams and Anjanette Kirkland .. They are the real deal and the future of the sport in teh US I believe .. Felix Sanchez is for real .. And the only thing keeping him from dominating the sport is Angelo Taylor ..

Men's 100 is tomorrow (tonight in the morinng whatever !!!) And I'll step way out on alimb and say that Montgomery doesn't win it ... HSI will win another major 100 !!!
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J J JOhnson is in the men's 200 !!!! NO Bernard Williams .. But the Brit Malcolm is ... Anyone for another sub 20.00 ?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: