Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Sprinters and Weights/injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anselm Murphy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the world championships on TV, it showed some of the 100m runners training in a gym and they were lifting HUGE barbells which must have had 120kg+ on it. My question is - why do sprinters train with these kind of things which only make your arms stronger? Does it improve running somehow?

Another question - ages ago I posted on this forum about an injury I had, an inflammed ligament in my left hip. The doctor said i should leave it for 3 - 4 weeks then start running again, about 1 mile until I get back to 5 miles.
I've left it for just over 5 weeks now, and althought its got a lot better, it doesnt feel perfect. If I start running now will I just injure it again? Also, I've already left it for 2 weeks more than the doctor said - shouldn't it be perfect by now? Could there be something else wrong?

I used to be doing 5 miles in about 33mins every day. Given if I start soon I'll have done hardly any exercise for the last 2 months, how long is it going to take me to get back into shape?

I know its a long post, sorry!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper body strength makes a huge difference in sprinting. People often forget how instrumental the arms are to proper running mechanics. They initiate the leg movement and work in conjunction with the legs to eliminate torso twisting. The arms must also be well developed to remain comfortable yet coiled in the starting blocks. 300-400 pound bench presses are not uncommon for elite sprinters.

Regarding injuries, unless something is actually "broken" (i.e. a stress fracture or spraining ankle), any doctor that tells you it will get better by simply resting it probably knows little or nothing about sports medicine. Most of the time, the injury will return as soon as you start back up. The key is identifying the source of the injury and actively rehabbing it. An inflamed ligament might require a rigorous stretching and massage routine, maybe new shoes, runing surface, or running mechanics. I have no way of knowing from here, so I can only take guesses.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: