Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleas send me training program for 800m runner .very sincerely
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please provide more information... Background info, current conditioning, previous training, goals, etc. Without that, anything I or anyone else can provide is too generic to be of any use.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a work out for sub 1.53 runner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a 2.01 last year as a freshman and am putting in 55 to 60mile weeks for the past 2months and need some track work outs to start on for this week I am in high school
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55-60 miles a week at your age for the 800m i think you should try concentrating on quality of the training sessions rather than quantity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you want to run 1:53? Or do you already run 1:53?

Start with your goal race and work backward. Select a goal workout that will give you the confidence to run at that speed.

exe. 3X(3x300 @ goal pace w/30sec rec.)

Do a similar workout once a week (monday) that builds to that goal workout. Fill in the rest of the week as follows:

Monday: Goal Workout
Tuesday: easy 5-7
Wednesday: 20 min tempo (lt)
Thursday: easy 5-7
Friday: pre-race
Saturday: Race or 20 min tempo
Sunday: off
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mileage does seem pretty high for an 800 runner at your age. Question: What do your coaches have you doing for training? I would think they have you on some sort of a long-term plan and don't want us messing things up. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill out Dan... Give this kid some credit. He is not going to go out and do some workout that he read on some obscure message board. He just wants to talk about 800 training.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, put yourself in his coach's shoes and I think you'd see things very differently. I would venture to say that 90% of coaching is having the confidence of your athletes. If they are doing someone else's workouts, you hardly have their confidence.

Now, if his track season has not yet started (Oregon schools start in about 2 weeks) and he was not given winter workouts by his coach, then that's a different matter entirely.

Quote:
He is not going to go out and do some workout that he read on some obscure message board.

Umm, that would then beg the question of why he is asking for workouts... Wink

Dan
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that some of my runners would seek adivise from different people just as this youngster has. But I believe that they would still check with their coach before doing any SERIOUS training. If an athlete does not trust his or her coach and they are searching the internet for answers then obviously they should chose to spend their time on a site that offers training advise from published coaches. The people on this site and others like it should use the sites as they were meant to be used: as entertainment.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If an athlete does not trust his or her coach and they are searching the internet for answers then obviously they should chose to spend their time on a site that offers training advise from published coaches.

Why? Does being published make someone's advice any more valid (think Runner's World)? I've seen lots of garbage published and lots of good stuff not published. I would guess there is very little correlation, if any, between the two.

Quote:
I believe that they would still check with their coach before doing any SERIOUS training.

Maybe, maybe not. I have no more basis for commenting on whether or not the above individual would do so than you do... For that matter, I don't see how my asking him what his coaches currently have him doing is objectionable to you. Merely a responsible first question. If you had an athlete come to you for coaching, would you immediately throw him into your system or ask what he had done previously and try to incorporate the two as much as possible?

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am late to this discussion, I agree with Dan about published and unpublished sources. I have run across a wealth of info on this site, 10ktruth.com, trackcoach.com and some other Kenyan training sites. I am in my 50's and would be hard pressed to break 24 min in a 5K or 50 in a 10K but I sure wouldn't come close if all I did 3 miles a day, 3 days a week. What bothers me somewhat is no one has any idea what this high schooler has been doing except 55-60 miles a week for 2 months. Has it all been easy running? Does he put in a long run once a week? Is any of this mileage LT training or hill running? The original post can't be answered until these kinds of questions and more, can be answered.

Paul
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

Dan
eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreed that 55-60 miles is slightly high. I think that 45 should be a max and that instead of a long run maybe work on the speed side remember that you can be very strong but you need speed.

at the moment our training program goes as such.

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - 6x300 with min rec target time 41-43- changing to 3x3x300 30 sec rec 5-67 mins between sets target 39-42
Wednesday - long easy run incorp 20 mins hills and circuits
thursday - 3/4x3x200 rec same as above target 26-27 (25's in summer)
Friday - easy 30-40 mins run at 8-9 min miling
Saturday - 3x500 12 mins faster than race pace or 5x500 5 mins at race pace or 3x300 at 35+
Sunday - long run 6.30-7min 45 mins
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie, were you the anonymous poster above?

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: