Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
How often should I train? (1500m)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 14 years old and until today I havn't done any training at all. I am trying to lower my 1500m time from my current PB (5:04)

I did the 12x400m at date pace with 4 sets etc.... like you suggest on your site for my first day of training.. but how often should I do this? When do I do the 1200m time trial and the 4x800 reps? I am willing to spend a lot of time training, but I don't want to over do it.

thanks Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your age, alleged lack of training, current PR, and ability to handle a pretty darn tough workout, it sounds like you have quite a bit of room for improvement. Smile

What pace were you able to do the 12x400 workout at? That workout should be done at most once a week and at minimum once a month (if you're going to incorporate it into your training in the first place, do it 3-4 times or more during the season to make it worthwhile). The 1200 time trial is a periodic thing to check your progress heading into competition phases. That should be done roughly twice in a season. The 4x800's would be done with about the same frequency as the 12x400.

The general rule is 2-3 actual workouts a week (when racing, that number would be 1-2 workouts), with one of them being your primary hard workout and the others usually a bit lower intensity/volume. Don't try to fit every hard workout into the same week... Sounds like you've already considered the potential downside to that.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 12x400 at an average of 1:17, all of my laps were within a few seconds of that.

If the 12x400 and 4x800 workouts should be done at a max of once per week, would it be ok to do them in the same week? For example, could I do the 12x400 on Monday, then do the 8x400 on Thursday?

And one more thing, If I want to do 3 workouts a week, and I should only do the 1200 time trial twice a season what else can I do? Test my 1500m time? More reps? Long run?

Thanks again Dan Smile
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... after reading your message again I notice that you said I shouldn't do 2 high intensity workouts in one week. So I guess I shouldn't do the 12x400 and 4x800 in the same week?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing both of those the same week would be on the high side. I suppose that could be done if it was early in the season and geared toward volume more than intensity. Otherwise, you'd be better off going for a mix of one good interval workout and either shorter intervals or longer tempo work, plus a race most weeks for your 3rd "workout."

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: