Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 1999 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a results snippet:

WILLIE WILLIAMS MEMORIAL CLASSIC
University of Arizona * Drachman Stadium
March 19-20, 1999 (Dec/Hep, 3-17/1Cool

1500m 1. Adam Goucher, Fila 3:39.15 PR (Stadium Record)
(58.2-58.3-58.6/58.5 last 400)

Those are some damn impressive splits! Now, here's my question. How does someone such as Goucher, truly a distance runner not known for speed in that short of an event, accomplish such even splits while running a PR? Would you have to emphasize the speed or the endurance? Even if you're jogging, a variance of 0.4 seconds per lap is nearly impossible!

Not a bad short-course cross country tune up, either.

In awe,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 1999 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that he actually had been doing a lot of training at exactly 1500m goal pace, and probably had even been doing simulated race type of workouts for quite a while leading up to the race. The body adapts so specifically to the workouts imposed on it, that it would seem to be very difficult to run even splits in such a fast race otherwise. Normally, if someone attempts to run a fast race like that off of 5k or 10k type training, they either run slow, even splits, or go down in a ball of flames, e.g. Todd Williams' attempt at a 4min. mile in the 1995 Adidas meet in Portland.

As another example, Bob Kennedy ran incredible splits in winning the 3000m at last year's Prefontaine meet in Eugene. He ran within a half second of 61s/lap for the whole race and finished in 7:37. From what I understand, that's the focus of his training. At the time, he and Martin Keino were doing nothing but 61s/400m (world record 5k) pace, or the equivalent off-track intensity, for their workouts.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 1999 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that BK pacing last year, it was pretty amazing. With Goucher, though, I wouldn't have thought he's put in enough time pacing for a fast 1500. He just came off a high mileage cross country season, then took a few weeks off to rest and prepare for the next level. As I recall, he was still kind of rusty heading into the USATF national cross country meet, and not too sharp through indoors. I suppose all of that might have been due to unknown 1500 pace training...

More memorable than Todd's failed sub-4 attempt at the adidas meet was then-unknown Mike Miller nearly taking down the king. That created quite a buzz in the crowd!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on Goucher: looks like that early season 1500m was a precursor of much bigger things. First came the US 5k title, now he runs 13:11 at Zurich (a 14 second improvement, I believe), edging out Alberto Salazar for 3rd best American performance ever (not counting multiple BK races, including a 13:05 in the same race)!

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Goucher's 13:11.25 is the second among american-born athletes Smile
I bet he's the next one to join Bob Kennedy in sub-13 club.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Oleg']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I think Maree is generally considered American, at least from a records perspective. Was Salazar even born in the US?

Goucher does look like a good bet to knock on the 13 minute barrier. From what I've heard of his training, he's preparing very smart.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: