Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Best dog to run with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could not find any other place to put this, so I decided here was as good as any place. Ok well where to start, Well I got 5 runner friends that run with their dogs, you may know nothing about this but, Is their any really good breed of dog to run with? 2 of them run with labs, 1 runs with a great dane , the 4th a golden retriever, and the final person actually has 2 dogs that he runs with a doberman pincher and a greyhound, Do you have any clue as to what breed is a better runner or are they just like humans when it comes to running? (meaning do they have to train all the time , warm up , etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know any sites or anything ?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I know of seems to have removed the page that dealt with that topic...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A border collie is a great breed to run with. If they have a very strong hearding instinct ( most purebreds do), you may have to nudge them gently at first as they will try and herd you! They are, however, very bright and learn this quickly. They also learn commands ( ie left, right, go up, etc ) very quickly,too.
The objection some people have to owning them is they get bored and have to be amused. Again, being very bright, they soon learn the 'run' is their job and are content to 'chill' after they run.
Good Luck!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Patti OBrien']

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Patti for the info.
I know it will be helpful, yes I have heard about certain breeds being able to learn commands while running, I want a dog that can go for a few miles, for say 3 or 4 miles, I don't believe a dog should run more than that, Right now Iam running about 50 miles a week , but I would only take the dog out for morning runs , which for me are only 3 or 4 miles long. I think I'm going to stick with a purebred dog too. Size is really not a factor in my decision. thanks again patti.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: