Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
I'm bad at running

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run, I just don't feel motivated and i stop after like 1 mile. Also, i get cramps in the right side of my body when i run, I just can't run through it so I just stop.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does motivate you? Getting in shape, running a certain distance, enjoyment? Determining a source of motivation and setting some goals generally helps.

I believe a training partner of similar ability and commitment will always help. Others think the most important thing is to start slow with alternating walking and jogging. (I agree that is important, but I still place the training partner as a higher priority, as that makes the walk/jog startup stuff much easier regardless).

As far as the cramping, what sort of stuff do you eat, how long before running do you eat to allow for digestion, and how well do you hydrate?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Motivated to Run Reply with quote

I believe that Dan's answer was right on the money. Beyond that, I've found that (distance) running doesn't begin to get easy or fun until after thirty minutes or three miles.

My current tarining partner, Joe, was stuck at 8 laps for several years. It wasn't until we began talking about a possible marathon, that he began to improve.

Once he had that goal to think about, he was up to three miles and beyond in a very short time.

One easy and painless way to get past the mile barrier, is to combine walking and running. Go to the track, jog the straights and walk the curves, for a total of three miles.

Bit by bit, day by day, week by week, jog further into the curves. Eventually you will be able to jog the entire distance.

If you have any specific questions concerning this type of training, feel free to contact me through my website. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've found that (distance) running doesn't begin to get easy or fun until after thirty minutes or three miles.

That seems to hold true for quite a few people.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Aha - finally we agree Reply with quote

Strangly enough, I've even found this to be true among highly trained distance runners - even if you've been training regularly for an hour, two or even three, the first thirty minutes or so are often a grind. It takes that long to fully warm up. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Anonymous, we are a friendly bunch here and would like to see you running and enjoying it. Dan brings up the most important point. What motivates you? In other words, "Why are you running?"

If you can give us an answer to that, then we will provide every suggestion we can to help. Very Happy

Good luck.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Sorry to hear that Reply with quote

Dear Anon: Sorry to hear you're getting cramps in your side. We all have had them from time to time, and they're no fun!

Sometimes we get them from running too soon after eating, especially if it's gassy food like beans.

Mostly it happens from trying to run too far, too fast, too soon. In your case, if you're running at the track, you might try jogging the straights and walking the curves.

Keep that up for four laps, then stop and go home. Then next day you could add a lap. Eventually you'll be walk/jogging for twelve laps or three miles.

At that point, increase the jogging parts by running part way into the curve before you walk. Then begin jogging again just before you leave the curve and enter the straight.

Very gradually you'll eliminate the curves and be jogging a real gosh darn three miles. If you have any specific questions about this sort of a program, please feel free to contact me through my website, and I'll come to the rescue. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents here. When I first started out 10+ years ago, I was coming from a competitive weightlifting career, and running and weightlifting just don't mix. So I started out on a track jogging a lap and walking 100m. Four times then eventually 8 times. Then I would jog 400m from the stagger in lane 8 to the finish line and walk to the stagger before running again. The secret to your cramps might just be to figure out when they usually occur and to start your walk breaks before that time. Also, its not necessary to bolt right out the door and start running. You might try walking a block or two before you start your jog.

Paul
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of good ways to make sure you don't get cramps is to, stretch well by raising your arms over your head and leaning to one side and back a little. A couple of other things you can do is make sure you are hydrated, the worst side cramps I ever had were as a result of not getting enough water during the day. Of coarse you don't want to drink a large amount of water or eat much food right before you run. Finally just keep trying, cramps are often simply caused by a lack of fittness, keep chipping away and they'll get better.
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Where did it go? Reply with quote

I put a post in here, full of sage comments (naturally Confused ), and it disappeared into the never-never land of cyber space.

I remembered it had something to do with *not* guzzling vast quantities water just before or during a training run or marathon.

I also remember saying that during an ultra-ultra trail run, while I only took a sip of liquid from time to time, when I finally arrived at the rare aid station, I would down a 12 oz can of iced Lipton's tea in a single pour.

Of course a 16 hour ultra has different requirements than a 3 hour training run or marathon. Mad Dog Mike [/url]www.training2run.com
PoseRunner
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Running is Easy! Try this for motivation... Reply with quote

When you run improperly, you begin to feel aches and pains, it comes with the territory. But you can change that, proper technique is key to fast effortless running! Learn more about the Pose Method of Running at the website. There might be other reasons to your aches as well. One could be lack of training, getting out there for the first time isn't always easy. But once you start you can't stop! Find out more at [url]PoseMethod.com[/url]! Very Happy
________
Toyota A transmission

Last edited by PoseRunner on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see:

http://run-down.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: