Distance Den
Regina Jacobs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She seems to be extremely fragile emotionally .. Makes me wonder how long she will last in the sport .. I'm also starting to wonder about Regina Jacobs however .. She looked like she was ready to rule the world the beginning of last year, but hasn't been able to hold it together physically since .. Are we back ot square one with women's middle distance running ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like Schwald looks ready to step up time-wise, but I haven't seen enough of her to know what she's capable of. Big improvement in Brussels, but I can't really picture her having gone much faster from the look of things. I don't know of anyone else on the horizon, and it certainly is a big question if Suzy or Regina will return to their form of 1-2 years ago.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scwald could be the one .. Nice move up in Brussels .. Not sure of potential either .. Who is coaching her ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whoever it is seems to be doing a decent job .. She seems to be a pretty solid runner at this point .. But one really needs to be capable of going 4:01 or better in order to be a medal contender these days .. Not sure if she is there or not .. But 4:04 is getting close .. I hope it is a sign of things to come ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regina has shown that a consistent 4:00-4:01 type can do quite well internationally. Of course, if she ever spent a full season racing in Europe when in good health, she'd probably better Suzy's 3:57, so that may not be the most sound comparison...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its a good comparison .. I think more important though is the 800 speed .. Both Suzy and Regina have good (1:58ish) 800 speed .. That is what puts them in the hunt with 600 - 800 to go in international races .. I'm not sure what Schwald's best 800 is .. Does anyone know ?? That may be more telling as far as her future in the event internationally as there are not too many grind em out 1500 races in major competition .. The last female I remember being able to do that successfully was Paula Ivan .. Outside of her most championshp type races over the last 20 years or so have been kickers affairs ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the one race I've seen of Schwald (at least, the only one I know of), she looks more like a 1500/5k type than an 800/1500 person. I'd be surprised if she has 2-flat 800 speed, but wouldn't be at all surprised to see something in the range of 15-flat for 5k.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a quick search earlier and found that she is the training partner of none other than Suzy herself .. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing .. Would think that if that is the case however, she should be getting soem good speed training .. So perhaps she could be next in line ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I assume that means she is training under Tegen, and he's certainly had his share of success with mid-distance women. Could be a good sign of future improvement.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does bode well for her future I think .. I wonder if Regina is "mentoring" anyone .. THere is a lot of young talent in the Bay Area of California .. Specifically around Stanford and Cal .. Would only take the right training environment, much the same has occurred withthe Stanford men's group ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never hear about Regina being associated with any other athletes, but she is part of HSI:

http://www.hsi.net/bio_jacobs.html

All the more surprising that Hudson is Suzy's agent...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really aware of any women's groups like the stanford one .. Then I am not quite as in touch with the distance world as I am the sprint world .. Smile .. But I know the California high schools have been turningout some pretty good female distance runners over the past few years and there should be a way to get them nurtured .. I think someone like Regina would be great in that regard ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the Wisconsin group is the closest thing for women, but they seem to have scattered a bit. Could it be that women tend to go where work/family is more so than men with similar training goals? Just a thought.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with that .. But one thing that I have noticed is that female distance runners tend to partner a lot with either male distance runners or coaches .. So wuld seem that getting a group of women togehr to train might not be as difficult as it would seem on the surface .. Especially for a few elite women for which economics would not necessarily be a negative factor in doing so ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: