Distance Den
Regina Jacobs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Regina at the Nationals? Maybe this is the year she brings home a world gold. Is anyone else out there a competition junkie? Over the past few years I have noticed myself having less interest in the "traditional" spectator sports (baseball, football, etc.) and more on running. I love watching track, cross country, marathons and following ultramarathons on the web and through magazines. I especially enjoy following college cross country and track. Any kindred spirits out there?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the more impressive big meet performances I've seen, in terms of number of events and fairly high quality times, especially for someone who's health was in question coming in.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will have to see what Regina does. Will she even run at Worlds? Her withdrawal last year was a little strange and brought up some questions about her.

The 800 field was pretty weak this year. But to double is impressive in the 800/1500. Let alone jumping in the 5000. I don't see a gold in any event and I don't think she does either. I think her main plan is to run sub 4 in the 1500 this year.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She supposedly ran the 800 as speed work and the 5k as endurance work, which is fairly believeable based on the times. I found it rather amazing that Regina has never broken 4:00, but I guess that's what happens when you generally skip the fast races on the European circuit...

I haven't heard anything yet about what (if?) she'll run in Edmonton or who she'd be likely to face, but I wouldn't rule her out as a gold medal shot in the 1500.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, she's not getting any younger. It's amazing what's she's been able to do. But the injuries start to come closer together after a while.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until age and injuries result in lesser performances from her, I certainly wouldn't count her out.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk about Regina we haven't mentioned Suzy Favor Hamilton. Suzy ran 4:03 in Italy last week. Maybe she can grab a World's medal too. I would love to see her and Regina make that last turn side by side and about 20 meters ahead of everybody else!
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so too, Micah, but realistically this is not going to happen. Suzy has run in ONE world level championship final and she collasped in it. She doesn't have the experience to win a race at that level. She had a huge improvement last year when she ran in Europe but to win a championship race is a different story. There are 5 women this year who have run faster than Suzy.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may throw a truly tasteless joke (maybe even considered a pun) out there at Suzy's expense... She's more likely to fall to the occasion than to rise to it. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But now that is exactly what happened thogh isn't it ?? True to form when it mattered most she fell down .. ANd was supposedly saving it for Zurich .. Wait .. She DNF's there didn't she ?? Of course those with really long memories will remember that as a freshman at Wisconsin she fell at the NCAA's .. So I guess your statement about falling to the occasion has been long time well deserved ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't know that about her college experience, but it doesn't exactly surprise me.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She may be one of the most talented mid distance runners ever for the US .. But her on her toes style of running often betrays her as she tends to drag her feet a lot .. Combine that with the intensity of a hot race, and what seems to be her own mental shortcomings near the end of races and there you have it ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She might also benefit from working with HSI on starting technique -- head down, pelvis up -- to carry through to the race. Ironically, last I saw, Emanuel Hudson was listed as Suzy's agent, but I've never seen her affiliated with HSI.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I have ahard time seeing her with HSI .. Doesn't seem to have the heart .. But she is someone who I think would benefit from a change of coaching .. I know she has had a least one major coaching change in her career .. And if I am not mistaken she is back with her college coach .. But she needs someone who can get in her head moreso than her technique I think .. She's got the physical tools .. She breaks down when the racing gets really tough .. And judging from various interviews I have heardher give she just isn't tough up there .. And when it comes to world class middle distance running that is more than half the battle ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She left Eugene and moved back to Wisconsin about 3 years ago to resume training with her college coach, and her performances immediately improved.

I agree about the toughness. She seems to be stepping further and further out on the limb with each interview, making you wonder where she finds the will to come back and try again. She sounds very emotionally fragile, which is something sure to flare up at the most inopportune times.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: