Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Running movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in here somewhere where John molvar was reviewing running movies. why wasn't The Games reviewed? this movie, based on the actual events in the one year's commonwealth games had ryan o'neil in a minor role as the american. This one has great training scenes, and is really motivational. Also, any of the real olympic documentaries by bud green in the 50's and 60's, especially the ones about emil zatopek, would be exceptional choices.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for John, but my guess would be because he hadn't heard of it. Wink Can't say I have, either...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the games" was made around 1969 I think. The basic premise was zeroing in on the stories of 5 or 6 international athletes who were training for the marathon at the games. The american was a hot shot college kid, who's secret was that he was doping. He literally hits a wall at 20 miles and has to be carried away in a stretcher. Another guy, a brit, is a milkman who is spotted by a crazed one legged coach who turns him into an animal, then blows it by telling him he's got to break 2 hours ("you've got to get a time that will last" Wink ... the poor guy goes out in 4:30 a mile in 100 degree heat, and literally dies in the final few yards on the track...
There's an African runner who discards his shoes mid way (a la abibe bikila) and an army captain from central europe whose country forces him back into training at age 40 after the brit breaks all his records...these 2 fight it out to the finish. It's by far the greatest running movie ever made. yet, it seems no one has seen it...

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, it sounds a bit goofy, but I'll take your word for its quality. I haven't seen the movie listed anywhere. Must not be a very common one. Is it on video (not as stupid a question as it might sound; some older movies never went to video)?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, it is really campy and the tv guide only rated it 2 stars. Even so, it simply is not possible to watch it and then not go out and run at least 3 miles hard. It has great lines in it like, after the psycho coach smashes the milkman's watch at their first meeting: "Hey, I paid 9 quid for that watch!" coach: "you don't become great for 9 quid". Or, after asking what today's workout will be, the coach says: "you're gonna run up that hill again and again 'til you can't run up anymore. Then we'll start over from the beginning." And when he does all that, and looks as if he's at least relieved it's over, the coach jumps on his back and makes him run up one final time. Hilarious.
It's probably not on video, else more would have seen it. I saw it on a uhf channel on tv years ago; I think it comes on obscure channels in olympic years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: