Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
XC

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan,

I'm going to be a junior next year and I wanted to know what I should do over the summer to get ready for Cross Country. Practice with my team starts on August 20th, and by this time I want to be running 70 miles a week. I wanted to know when I should start running and how much should I run each week. Also, I want to do some weight training but I'm not sure when I should do that, and how much I should do. Finally, in the days before I start running I want to know what I should do (Cross Training, i.e. biking and/or swimming) Thanks

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kavan Desai']
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Im not Dan but I can help out a little.

First of all, how many miles a week have you been running? Don't start off with too much mileage. You could start off with your peak mileage that you have reached. Then I would add 5 miles each week, and every 4th week cut back on mileage by about 25-30%.

Once a week go for a long run. If you want to run 70 miles a week, then you should probably do a 90 minute long run or more. The max you should go is 2 hours. If you start off at say 75, add 5 minutes each week.

Cross training isn't neccesary. The best way to become a better runner is by running. However, I do believe that cycling would definately help you become a better runner, especially on the hills.

3 times a week do 6-10 strides on easy days after your run to keep your fast twich muscles activated.

My goal is also to build up to 70 miles a week, I will be a Senior in HS next year. This week I am starting of with 50 miles, then it will be 55,60,40,60,65,70,50,70,70. Once a week I am going to do a long run on Sunday, starting with 90, and I am going to add 5 minutes each week until I reach 120 minutes. Once a week I am going to do some medium to long intervals, such as 5x1 mile at 6 minutes each, or 6-8x800m at 2:45, or hill repeats.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. Smile

A couple minor additions:

1) Cross training won't help you become a better runner, but it might help to keep you from getting hurt by doing too much of the stuff that will help you become a better runner. In other words, cross training can be very beneficial as supplementary work in the form of rest days, as it keeps the body active without breaking it down further.

2) Unless you are resting from a just-completed season, you should start training for cross country now. No reason to delay, as the most important thing for xc is to build a good endurance base.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: