Training Talk
Stomach pain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan =)

Every time when I run, after 3-4 mins I start to feel a terrible pain in my right, left or both sides of my stomach. I know it's not because of eating too close to running, because last time I didn't eat for 6 hours before running, and still I got the pain =( Any idea what might cause this, and how to make it go away?

Also, I sometimes feel pain in my right knee, could this be because of not stretching enough? If so, any stretches you could recommend? I have only been running in the woods.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrik,

There doesn't appear to be any one answer as to what causes side aches (side stitches, cramps, etc.). There seem to be different causes and different solutions for different people. General diet and how close you eat before running are the most likely causes, but I also have problems if I drink anything other than water within an hour of running. Apples give lots of people problems, as does dairy. Inefficient breathing could be a culprit, not eating enough, being under-hydrated, and who knows what else.

Where is the pain in your knee?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knee pain is in the front part of the knee. Hard to explain in english =(
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to go on there, it could be any number of things -- running mechanics, bad fitting shoes, uneven running surfaces, too much impact, quad tension, IT band, structural issues, etc. If the pain persists, you would probably be wise to consult someone that can take a look at what's going on.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ok, pretty much all the kneecap (is that the right word?) hurts, and mostly when running or walking down stairs.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like what is commonly referred to as runner's knee (repetitive stresses), but it could also be tendinitis, condromalachia, or several other things.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind another runner's perspective on the side stitch issue...

A few weeks ago I ran my first track 10k. Our trainer wasn't around with the water bottles, so instead I had some Gatorade to hydrate myself before the race. Bad news. Apparently Gatorade has trace amounts of salt in it which tend to dehydrate you. I realized this at about mile three when my whole side cramped up from a lack of oxygen (the oxygen that would normally be found in water!). Let's just say the rest of the race was very painfull.

Last weekend I ran my second track 10k, and before I ran I only drank water. Bingo. No side cramps, no bad oxygen debt, nothing, but a great race and a thirty second pr!

Good luck!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mike Sty']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that's a nice improvement. Smile

Sports drinks are definitely bad news, in my personal opinion. After the workout/race, no problem. But before or during, very risky if you have a sensitive digestive system.

Dan
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mike =) Going to try to only drink water before and during my workout.

Also, going to run 2.5km in school tomorrow, is it necessary to drink during the run? I read somewhere that the water you drink needs 40 min in the body before it can be used to cool it, and when running it was more efficient to just pour it onto yourself instead (at least for shorter distances). Is that true?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable to me. Unless it is unusually hot and humid, I don't think it is necessary to hydrate *during* and race of 10k or less. Before and after is a different matter, of course.

Dan
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2001 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Dan, thanks =)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be possible that movement of internal organs are causing the side aches/cramps?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'wawa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything specific that makes you think that might be the case? I've never heard that theory before.

Dan
mlewis73
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

How long have you been running? If you're relatively new to the sport it isn't surprising to hear of your stomach pains. I had those LOTS when I started running and riding bicycles as a teen... Took about 2 months to get into condition before that stuff resolved itself.

Any other symptoms?

I've been running for years, for fun--not competition, and experienced certain back-end problems every time I ran for about a month. Some sort of transient virus that eventually cleared itself out. Never had the problem if I rode the bike... only running.

Give it a week or two and see what happens. I went as far as having lab work done, but nothing found other than severe stress at work and possibly a bug of some sort.

Knee pain can be anything... will read and see what others have posted.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: