Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Shin Splints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm a Sophomore in High School and I run distance. During my Freshman year of Croos Country I had mild shin splints that went away pretty fast but recently that have come back and are almost unbearable. I can barely walk after I run at our meets. I saw the info you had about shin splints on your webpage but I'm not sure I understand.

I got the tire tube and tide a loop in it. You put it around your foot and move your foot in a figure 8 right? Do you do it standing up or sitting down. I've tried alot of things but I can't really feel my shins doing work.

Any help is appreiciated.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rob Martinez']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2001 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I feel your pain... Sad

I've been told that my use of the term "figure 8" is a bit confusing. In reality, you are simply doing circles with your foot, but changing directions every now and then. Best to do it sitting down with your leg extended out in front of you, heel on the ground or leg propped on something. That way, you don't need to worry about stabilizing, which takes away from the exercise. You should feel tension down the front of the shin muscle. If not, try pulling back harder and/or go for longer.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Thanks Alot Dan I'll try it out!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rob Martinez']
juan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: shin splints really bad1111111 Reply with quote

I read the info you've got about shin splints and I read the message left by the high shool student, but I really do not understand the tire tube gadget, what do u mean by it?? please bare with me since I'm from Mexico and that may be why I can't understand, do u have a drawing or some'n???? I'm really desesperate, I can't run because of the pain, which really doesn't hurt while running but all day long I can barely walk, can u help pleasse????????????? Crying or Very sad
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures or diagrams... Anything rubber or elastic should work fine, so long as it provides a decent amount of resistance when you pull back on it. Surgical tubing, bike tire tube, heavy duty elastic bands, etc.

Dan
juanfranch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: shin splints Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, I'll try doing it, I think I understand how it works now. I will let u guys know if it works for me, thanks again
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have gotten to this last week. I consider this to be a core part of my warmup routine. I will briefly explain how I do this and let Dan comment.
I use surgical type tubing and my running shoes to keep the tubing in place on my forefoot. I sit on a chair and pull up my leg with the tubing to about a 90 degree angle at the knee. My foot is about 6-8 inches off the ground. I don't lock my heel into place, my foot is free floating. I pull the tubing up to my knee and hold it in place to add resistance. Then I make the biggest circles I can using my big toe as my guide. My knee is locked into place but my ankle may roll off center by 2 inches or so. The bigger the circle I can make the more I feel it in the entire ankle area, halfway up the lower leg, and even into the fascia area in the bottom of my feet. The circles can get as large as 8-12 inches in diameter. The lower leg rocks back and forth like a small pendulum, which is why the ankle will roll off center. I do 20 circles clockwise and then 20 counterclockwise.
I haven't had to really deal with a shin splint problem, but this is a great warmup and strengthening exercise. If I have to leave the house without doing these I know it in my workout.

Paul

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. Smile

Dan
colin
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: sin splints Reply with quote

I have had shin splints on both shins for 18 months had burst of time off but after three runs it returns big style goes away after 3-4 days off but always comes back.

now running on sand which is so hard to run on but just about makes shin splints bearable for 4 runs

anyone help with this

have lumps on shins which are sore especially left one tried ice/ibroprofen gel/tablets still the same goes away with rest but always comes back after 3/4 runs
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time off does nothing to address the problem, it just lets the inflamation subside. Have you looked at the shin splints section of the Running Tips area of the site, mentioned above in this thread?

Dan
colin
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exercise that was recommended would best be described as figure-eights. Find yourself an old bicycle tube or some surgical tubing, and tie a loop at one end to put your foot in. Pull back on the other end with as much resistance as feels comfortable, and rotate your foot in circles (point your toe, rotate clockwise toward you, then away from you, etc.). Change directions from time to time, making slow, controlled movements. After five to ten minutes a day of this, my shin splints were gone for good within a mere week or two. Had I only known this three years earlier...

dan do you put your heel , mid foot or toes on loop and simply circle your foot each way

do you leave your shoes on? do you lie down? or sit in chair
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but I'm not sure why everyone wants to over-complicate it so much. It's not just you, I get the same questions from everyone. My response is, just think it through and see if you can come up with more than one good answer to any of the questions...

Put the loop around your heel and what's the point of any foot movement in the first place??? Toes or midfoot, doesn't matter, as long as you find a comfortable position to anchor the loop at. Anywhere up in that area develops the spring board effect you need for resistance.

Shoes on or off? What's it matter? You're working the leg muscles, not the foot muscles.

Laying down, sitting, or standing? Again, what's it matter? Do whatever you find comfortable, supportive, and balanced.

Dan
colin
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good answer lol but when you get desperate you want to make sure your doing everything right !

cheers will try it from sat see how it goes

one last question

how many times a day? ( Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed Razz Surprised Shocked
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not something I consider possible to over-do, so basically until the muscles are fatigued. I generally recommend once or twice a day, 5-10 minutes each time. Doesn't take much.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Hi Rob,

I feel your pain... Sad

I've been told that my use of the term "figure 8" is a bit confusing. In reality, you are simply doing circles with your foot, but changing directions every now and then. Best to do it sitting down with your leg extended out in front of you, heel on the ground or leg propped on something. That way, you don't need to worry about stabilizing, which takes away from the exercise. You should feel tension down the front of the shin muscle. If not, try pulling back harder and/or go for longer.

Dan

I heard some similar thing too like righting the alphabet, doing pulses against a wall, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: