Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
2.5km in 8.30-9 mins, how?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've just started training at 2.5km, and my goal is to go below 9 mins. What would be the fastest way to archieve that goal? I can train pretty much every day.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrik,

Seems to me you want to be conditioning your body to hold 86 second pace per 400. You can get there basically one of two ways:

1) Work on endurance and mileage, picking up the speed as you build a solid base.

2) Run intervals at that goal pace and steadily increase the distance, holding the pace as long as you can.

Of course, you can and should mix those approaches to some degree.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the quick reply, I just read the part of the website about proper rest. Can you recommend any workout for hard days and easy days?
Also, I have to say it's really a great site you have =)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrik,

You're welcome, and thank you. Smile

My choice for workouts would probably be comprising your training of roughly one-third of each of the following:

1) tempo runs at 6:00 to 6:30 per mile pace, doing one to two miles

2) long runs (pace not important) of 6+ miles

3) intervals at slightly faster than goal pace, i.e. 400m repeats at 80-85 seconds

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Dan, is there anything I can do indoors to help my running times? Because here (Sweden) it's been raining pretty much non stop this week, so I haven't been able to do alot of running.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do general fitness stuff: pushups, situps, lunges, jumping jacks, 30m accelerations, etc. Depends a lot on how much indoor room you have to work with.

Dan
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please explain what "lunges" and "jumping jacks" are, since I'm from Sweden I have no idea what it is.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh, this could be a challenge to describe without visual cues...

Lunges are like an extended stride, while walking. Step forward with your right leg, drop your left knee to the ground, hands on hips, torso upright, and keeping your right knee directly over your right foot when you are fully extended. Come back to a standing position, preferably keeping the bulk of your weight on the forward leg, then do the same for the other leg -- slow and steady movements. Start with about 10 each leg and increase the number as your legs become accustomed to it (some people can start higher without getting too sore).

Jumping jacks, hmm... When you "jump," you are not jumping up so much as you are kicking your legs out to the side. Start with your legs together and your arms hanging at your sides, then jump and spread your legs in the landing position (about 2 feet apart, or roughly .6 meters Smile ). During that process, your arms come up over your head, swinging them up to the side. The next jump brings your feet back together and your arms back to your side. You should have your weight over the ball of your feet at all times. I don't know who came up with the name, but it can make for a good supplemental workout.

For an even higher degree of difficulty, you can add side jumping jacks. I'll leave that to your imagination. Wink

Dan
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I understand =) Thanks Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: