Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Training for 11 year old?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is about attempt his third 5K, but it has been at least a year since his last run and this time he doesn't have an experienced trainer (only me). This was his decision to run and I want to be as helpful as possible. Any ideas about what we can do to get him ready for this race??

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tony Page']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is he?

What are his goals?

What is his conditioning level?

What has he managed in the past?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is 11 years old and he does enjoy running...he plays little league baseball and I believe the running helps him in that. He also plays basketball. As far as his conditioning...he is in pretty good shape...he is always very active either shooting ball or roller blading.
In the past 2 runs he has done fairly well in terms of time and rank. But like I said that was at least a year ago.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Sheesh, the subject line of your post just now hit me... Shocked

At that age, I think the best thing you can do is encourage him without being too directly involved, and let him know that he can come to you for further encouragement or direction. If he responds well to that, then you can offer to run with him and possibly up his training a bit.

The thing to be cautious about is pushing too much and making running not fun for him. The 5k should probably be approached the same way. If he does well, that's great, but the goal should be to enjoy doing it. The end result will be his reward for bringing the correct attitude.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!
I'll give that a try. I could use the exercise and that should be fun for the two of us; besides, we need to spend more mother/son time together.
I appreciate all the advice. The race is next month...so I'm sure I'll be back for more tips...

Tony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: