Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Weight Gain and running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a competitive track runner and run mid-distance events (400, 600, 800, even 1000). For the past two years I was very restrictive about my eating and was considered by many to be too thin (including doctors), yet I still ran very well. This year, I have gained about 15-20 pounds, and this concerns me greatly. I think a lot of it is muscle, but I still feel topheavy.
Should I be concerned about this? Will it slow me down?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends a lot on the individual (height, weight, build, strength). Do you feel slower? Was the weight gain intentional?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, this reminds me...how would I be able to lose weight? I am 5'11 and 3/4'' tall, and weight 155. I believe I weight a bit too much to be the best distance runner I can be(1600 and 3200). I am hoping to lose perhaps 5 pounds, 10 at the most. The thing is that I have a muscular upper body, especially for a disntace runner. My pecs are the haviest thing, I used to bench press to gain size. I have stopped lifing, but the muscles has stayed. My legs are skinny as any other distance runner. The bad thing is that I eat like a pig, more calories than I burn, but I don't gain weight. Should I just eat low calorie foods, like vegetables? I am always hungry! BTW I eat alot of high calorie foods.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... Your weight is probably reasonable for your height, especially if you are muscularly built. I believe strongly that you should eat for energy, not for weight, and the same goes for hitting an optimal weight -- take care of your body first and foremost, and your body will take care of the weight. In other words, the weight should be the end product of proper training and nutrition, not a goal. Eating vegetables and the like is certainly a good idea, but I'd be surprised if it would cause you to lose weight. You'll probably just end up eating more to make up the calories... If you feel too heavy, drop the bench press in favor of other exercises, as the bench is really a useless exercise (unless you spend all day on the beach Wink ).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I really feel slower...but I'm dealing with a leg injury right now so I haven't been able to race and see what my times are. I'm 5'3'' and weigh about 120 pounds now. The weight gain was intentional at first...but now I'm afraid I've gained too much. Is 120 lbs. reasonable for a woman of my height?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not sure what is an average weight for that height. Very important is what your build is like, i.e. lean muscle mass. Also, the nature of the event you are training for goes a long way toward dictating what your ideal weight is.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a lot of lean muscle mass, but I'm really not sure...my thighs have increased greatly in size as well as my hip area. I want to train for mid-distance events (400, 600, 800m)
Right now I have a leg injury and cannot run or use the stationary bike, but I think I need to lose some weight...how can I do this with just arm and ab work?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'anonymous']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what they are called, but there is an arm cycle machine that is a very good aerobic workout. You sit upright and pedal like on a bike, but with your arms instead of your legs. That's the best workout I know of that doesn't involved the lower body.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chew gum frequently and end up going through several packs a day. Could I be intaking a lot of extra calories from this (especially if it is sugared gum)? Does a person take in excess calories from chewing gum?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Katherine Roster']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly would be consuming calories. Of course, you are also burning calories through the chewing. I'm not sure what the net effect is, but it probably varies widely by sugar content and your metabolism. Several packs a day sounds quite extreme, though...

Dan
brownsugar400
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 5'7 1/2 and weight about 143. Many people say that its because of my height and the fact that I have muscle from running track (400, 200, and 800) I hear many people talk about the ideal weight for atheletes, but I wanted to know if that is ideal or not.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people's opinions might differ, but I don't think the numbers carry much meaning for such things. I look at ideal weight as a visual and 'feel' (i.e. the way you feel) sort of thing, which can only be determined in person.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink a lot of tea lately, mostly the flavored herbal kinds that are "naturally caffeine and calorie free" does such have any negative health affects?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mimisico']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any detrimental effect, I'm sure it is quite negligible. Chances are it's neutral to good.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: