Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
HELP longer strides

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem with taking short srtides i do everything else right but for some reason i have shot strides can you help me to correct this it would be greatly appreciated.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tyler Anderson']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hill running, both uphill and down, is good for strengthening and lengthening the stride, as are acceleration-type strides and drills like lunges. The important thing to keep in mind when trying to lengthen your stride is to now slow down your turnover (stride frequency).

Dam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do everything well already then perhaps your stride length is right where it needs to be for right now. why force the stride length just to be able to say you have longer strides? stride length is a product of force production, it is more important to think about rythym than stride length. your stride length should be as long as is mechanically efficient -- and for some that may mean that it is not very long. everyone is different.

sprinting is the product of your movements measured in time, not the individual characteristics of technique(ie stride length, knee lift, arm swing) based on observation.
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2000 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that doing strides and drills, jumprope, and calf raises are benficial for developing a longer stride, because if your calf muscles are stronger, they will allow you to spend less time on the ground. A longer stride helps so much, but also keep in mind that spending less time on the ground helps, that is why it was easier for me to run a 7 minute pace than a 8 minute pace, because I spent way too much time on the ground on the slower runs. Hey Dan, do you know of some drills that will help with stride length and power? I do butkicks, highknees and bounds, but I am sure there are more?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2000 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other good ones are lunges (nice and deep, keeping your lead knee directly over your foot), jump squats, high knee skipping, and backward running (extend back and really cycle through the motion).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: