Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
800 meter workouts....(confused)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan,

Ok I'm a 400-800 runner, and in the 400, when you do workouts for the 400, such as 100 or 300 meter repeats, one needs full recovery, so you can work your CP and 400 race pace speed, b/c if you dont have full recovery on 400 workouts, it wouldn't be beneficial because you will be working your endurance, right?
Ok so here is where i get confused. The 800 is 1 lap longer, so I need more endurance
So where do I get that endurance from?...would I get it from doing track workouts for the 800, such as 400 meter repeats and 600 meter repeats,and not get full recovery?.....or do i still get full recoovery, so I can go all out and run 800 at race pace, or should I not get full recovery between sets, so I can work my endurance? OR do i just work on my endurance on the long days (ie 10 miles), and get 100 percent recovery on workouts (400-600 repeats) I KNOW this is very confusing but please try to understand me!! help!!!! thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For the true speedwork, you are correct that near-full recovery is necessary. However, a good deal of 400 training will incorporate shorter rests geared toward speed endurance. The cross over to the 800 comes from tweaking the ration of speed to endurance, keeping much of the work race pace oriented.

The only time you really ought to be taking full recoveries on 800-type training is if you are doing a time trial(s). Raw speed won't affect it too directly.

Hope this makes some sense... Smile

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Since the 800 is deemed a "middle distance"
(with the emphasis on the word "DISTANCE" Wink event,that is where the crux of your workouts should be focused at.If you're a good 400 runner,you basically have the speed needed.Track workouts should be held to a minimum and get out on a run (2-5 mles) so you can build your endurance so you will be able to
carry your speed 801 meters.In track workouts,
try to come by the 400 meter line in 61 and keepit going so you'll hit the last 600 meters in
1:32. Runningly,

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Coach Mike']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you basing a 61 split on? Not knowing if the person can run a 50 or 70 second open quarter, I'm not sure how useful that is...

You really think track work should be held to a minimum for 800m training?

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand what you mean track work should be held at a minimun for 800m training..what does that mean??

If I am a 400-800 runner, and my 400 time is around 48-50 seconds...where should be goal be in a runner who is motivated for the 800??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain what you mean by "where should be goal be?" Do you mean overall goal time, goal first lap split, or something else? If you can run the 400 in 48, you should be able to split about 53, 58, for a 1:51 or thereabouts.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: