Training Talk
Time to train!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dan, I have taken 2 weeks off, it is time to prepare for Track. I plan on getting as high as 65 miles a week. Im not sure what to start with, over the summer I got as high as 50 miles a week, so maybe I will start with 40 and add 5 miles every 1-2 weeks. But, what I am wondering, is how should I break the mileage up? Do you have any ideas? For a 40 mile week, should the week look kinda like this..5,8,5,8,5,9. And if I do it like that, should I run easy on the 5 mile days? I discovered that I can get faster, if I develop my anaerobic system, so I plan on doing 10x100m 3-4 days a week after the runs. I am also going do start doing 4x400m once a week in January, my coach finally made me happy and said to do interval training!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first week back probably shouldn't be as high as 40 miles a week. After the post-season layoff, start back up slow. 20-25 miles the first week would be better, then move back up to where you ended the XC season.

That mileage breakdown ought to work fine. I would vary which runs are harder each week, so that your long runs aren't always your hard days (2 hard days a week during base training is plenty). The 100's will be good for maintaining turnover, but I think you'll find it tough to get much out of the 400's while building up the mileage.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you should just take a look at http://www.endurox.com. That supplement will help you very much!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Endurox']
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, what do you think about Endurox? I have read about it, and heard what is has done for people. I hear it makes you recover faster, so interval training is better, and you can run better multiple races at a meet. It is a herb that makes your body burn more fat, so carbs are saved.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any knowledge of it, but I don't trust it. I'll leave it at that; everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I decided not to try Endurox, I am getting fast without it. But Dan, do you think anything of protein supplements? I was thinking of getting a 5 pound jug of whey protein and take some after every run. Im not sure if I should use soy or whey, but I want to use it so that I can repair my muscles good. Man, I feel great this week! It feels good to be running again. And no longer do I suffer from insomnia, when I was taking time off, I could not sleep. And I have my appetite back, so I can eat lots of food again.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you deem yourself a sprinter (which I doubt), I wouldn't mess with protein supplements. Eating healthy and getting lots of rest are your best bets for rapid recovery. Protein supplementation will most likely just bulk you up.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Dan, I ran last week and I feel alright now, but I was sore for the first 4 days, but was able to run after getting warmed up. My knees were tight but I streched well after my runs and they are great now. Hey Dan, I am considering doing 1 interval workout a week. But I am very scared that it will somehow ruin my base phase. I want to do 5x1 mile, where I run each mile in abotu 6 minutes. I read a book that said after running so many miles a week, the only way to boost aerobic capacity is by running between 3K-5K pace, my 3K pace is 2:45 and 5K pace is 3:00. Does running a workout such as 5x1 mile with 3-4 minutes rest make you peak? Or should I wait a month after base building to do this? Sorry, I am just to excited to get fast!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5x1 mile workout is a good one (not a peaking workout by any means), but I think it's too early in your base building phase to be concerned with that. Give yourself a week or two of building the mileage and little more than strides. That will help your body acclimate.

It's good that you did a lot of stretching to get through that initial soreness. That should help you a lot in the long run (no pun intended Smile ).

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Dan, no pun intended, haha. You are probably right, I should at least wait a few weeks until I consider 5x1 mile. My max Vo2 and running economy are not as high as they can be, I plan on running up to 60 miles a week, the most I had done is 45. So the extra miles should do me good. My plan is do do drills and a few minutes of jump roping 3 times a week after my runs, and the other 3 days to do strides. Those two things are sure to boost my running economy. Hey Dan, do you know how you peak? I just want to make sure I don't peak. I think that short fast intervals with long rest makes you peak, right?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, that's the sort of stuff that leads to peaking. A coach of mine once said, "if you feel like you're peaking too early, just go for a long, slow run." You can guess what I think about LSD training... Wink

Keep in mind that increasing from a high of 45 miles a week to 60+ is a 33% or more mileage increase. That's rather significant, so take it easy initially.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, I was wondering how I am going to break the 45 mile a week barrier. I can run a week of 6-9-6-9-6-9, which is 45, but if I am training for the 1600 and 3200, do I really need to run more distance? I am thinking of running a double day on one of the 6 mile days, so I would go for a 5 mile run and a 6 mile run, and do a double day one day that week. Then each week I can add a double day until I am running 3 double days a week, 60 miles a week. If I am still getting in good shape, I can hard on the 6 mile runs, and go nice and easy for endurance on the 9 mile runs. But also keep in mind that in about 3 weeks, I will start doing intervals once a week, so I will just replace the 6 mile days with say 4x1 mile or 8x800 or 10-12x400. I probably don't really need to go beyond 9 miles, the fastest kind in our league runs 8 miles a day, but he probably runs fastttt.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I don't care for mileage -- the emphasis invariably turns to how to get the total miles in for the week. I don't mean to be stubborn about this, but I see absolutely no value in what you are trying to figure out. Just go out there and run, and the mileage will take care of itself as an end result.

Unless we're talking 5k-10k or longer, I'd bet on the person that built quantity off of quality over the person that builty quality off of quantity.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious Dan, you don't think 60+ miles a week is good? There are many benefits of running more miles, which you probably know, like max Vo2, running economy, more strength, etc. What I was asking is how I can add more mileage by using double days. It doesn't really make sense for me to run more than 9 or 10 miles for a run. Now, my mileage is quality! By quality what do you mean? Are there any workouts that I can do in the base phase, say once a week? Or should I resist and just get in a solid base. Oh BTW I am running the mile and 2 mile. Oh yea Dan, what do you think of hill repeats? Can you do hill repeats during the base phase, and how long should they be?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2000 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mileage by itself is virtually worthless, and it is very rare to see someone focus on how to reach a certain level of mileage without sacrificing quality. The benefits you mention are equally attainable through lower mileage.

My point is that I see you worrying too much (in my opinion) about how long to run and when, when you should just be out running and seeing what the body can handle. Unfortunately, when focusing on mileage totals, it becomes difficult to not fall into the trap of planning the runs too carefully. That's why I always say that mileage should be an afterthought -- get the quality in, and the mileage will take care of itself.

Hill repeats are great any time of the year. You can mix up distance, incline, reps, and recovery period to compliment whatever training phase you are currently in. Early season means longer hills with less recovery, at slower speeds.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: