Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Couple Quick Thoughts/Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan! I have some quick questions that I thought you could help me with. Of course these questions can by answered or added on to by others. First of all this outdoor season is just around the corner, I am in the hunt for a couple of state championships (3rd 800 and 5th 1600 last year). Last year i ran 2:01.56 and 4:34.8 respectively. I was wondering if you think that there would be any way for me to go 1:54 and 4:19. Then I would like to know of some workouts that could help me achieve this goal. Also i notice that I have rather small quads, in looking at all the fast distance runners there quads seem to be quite larger than mine. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to not only increase size, but also increase strength (certain weight room procedures is my guess). Well Dan thanks for your time.
Your frined in running,
Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Tough questions to answer without seeing what type of runner you are and how close to your potential you have already performed. Unless you're very speed-oriented, which is unlikely from the way you describe your physique, your 800m time would certainly indicate a 4:19 is possible.

7 seconds in the 800m is a lot. If you're already pedal to the medal (just a guess based on how much faster it is than your 1500m time), then you will have to significantly increase your speed to make that dramatic of an improvement. What year are you? I know from experience that trying to make such leaps in one year can be devastating... Sad

The key to running a specific pace is training at that pace. If you want to run 1:54, then your training needs to be focused on running 400's at 57 seconds and 200's at around 27-28, with the occasional longer stuff (500-600) trying to maintain pace. Same principle applies for the 1500, just adjust the distance (i.e. 800's instead of 400's) and times.

There are some incredibly successful long sprinters and short mid-distance runners that are very skinny. Bulk slows you down 100% of the time. It is strength that makes you faster, and the two are often mutually exclusive. Lunges and hill running are good ways to increase leg strength, as our drills with proper form.

Hope this helps,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan I am a senior in high school which really does stink, I was I had another year or so. I like to think that I'm speed oriented. I have run 51.6 for a 400 (split), which shows that I have some speed and maybe I have to work on speed/endurance. Thanks for some of the tips on those workouts you gave me. I'll use them in good logic. Here are some more questions:
1. What should my off-season training be like?
2. Do you think that cross-training with a bike would help out my quad strength?
Thanks again Dan, peace!
Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I understand all too well. I wish I knew early in high school what I know now...

With as much speed as you have, and taking your goal times into account, you should definitely be focusing on speed endurance. Your 400 time is equivalent to 1:57-1:58, so you have a fair amount of room for improvement there just from the endurance standpoint. You can probably get under 4:10 for the 1500 with sufficient training.

I believe off-season training should be similar to in-season training, with more quantity but keeping an emphasis on pace preparation. I think the 12x400 workout (sets of 3 with a 200m jog between each interval and a 600m jog between sets) at 1500m goal pace would be very good for you.

Biking would definitely improve quad strength, but I think you would be better off looking it as supplemental conditioning. I don't think speed/strenght is your problem.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have rather small quads. Hill running does indeed help quad strength. Also, as Frank Shorter said, "Hills are speedwork in disguise." I'm lucky cause I have inclines that are up to 2.5 miles long near my house. Good luck Mark in your quest for a State Champiosnship(s).

Lars

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Lars']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: