Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
I want a 6-Pac!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I just want to ask...Do you think the Torso Track or one of those ab machines will work out the abs? I believe that it works, because one time, I used the Torso Track at my Aunt's house, and I only did about 5 reps then quit, and the next day all of my abs were sore! But, if you use the Torso Track over and over, would your body adapt? I was thinking of getting the Torso Track(that machine that Suzzane Sommers is on on TV) and maybe the Torso Tiger, the machine that you sit on, so that I have 2 different machines.

I hate doing crunches and reverse crunches, I just want an easy excersise to get my abs done fast without having to worry about form. I know I don't do reverse crunces correctly because my abs don't burn even after 30 reps.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'MJSbosman']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used one of those machines, but I suspect they are just another way of doing pretty much the same exercise. They may do just enough different to work different muscle groups, in which case they could be worthwhile. You're probably right that varying the workouts is the key to avoiding adpating to the exercises.

I don't know what your crunches form is like, but most people either do them with their feet on the floor, on the floor and braced, or off the ground but legs tucked in close to their stomach. These are all ways of cheating the exercise, as your abs are pretty much relaxed for 75% of the range. To get the fullest benefit, keep your lower legs level with the ground and your upper legs slightly less than a 90 degree angle to the ground (measured from the direction of your feet).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Dan, I'll try that next time I do some crunches. But I havn't been lifting weights or doing crunches for a few months. After CC is over, I will begin lifting weights and doing some ab work. I think that I will get the Torso Track, but I will also do crunches and leg lifts so that I don't adapt. I could also do crunches and other ab exercises, THEN do the Torso track right after, or vice versa, which would attack my abs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting a 6 pack has way more to do with diet than exercise. You've got to drastically cut down on all fat intake by eating only plain tuna, chicken breast, salads w/ no fat dressing, veggie burgers, water, and vitamins for 3 to 6 months. It's very hard and kind of dangerous to do for too long.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,
I'm a basketball player and i'm 14 years old and everyone else i know has a 6-pac.I really want one. I'm not fat but i just don't know how to get one. Can you tell me what exercises i should do and how many times a week. And please explain what the terms mean like crunches and that. ???
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunches are basically mini situps, keeping tension through the stomach (going up all the way to your knees relaxes the stomach for most of the movement) and lifting your shoulder blades off the floor slightly with each repetition.

I'm not entirely sure it's possible to achieve a "6-pack" if it isn't in your genetic makeup. There are very skinny people with no muscular definition in their abs and fairly flabby folks who have the washboard look -- body fat doesn't really appear to be the defining factor, nor does muscle volume by itself. I think it's a combination of factors, and I don't know what the exact formula is to get there. Obviously diet (low fat), ab strength work, and high volume of exercise, but many people can do such things religiously and gain tone elsewhere in their bodies but simply look thinner through the waist.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan. I am 6 feet tall, but my ideal weight is 190-194 (off the diet-industry-sponsored BMI charts-I am 240 right now Smile ). The only way I could get the six-pack look was by starving myself to 188, and feeling like I was going to pass out any second. After couple attempts, wisely, I gave up.
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to be a healthy and strong person without "a six-pack..."
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a six pac but i think its natural its always been there i havnt had to change my diet or excercise in any specific way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Ab Machines Reply with quote

Sit-ups are about the simplist exercise you can do. The machines are designed to suck the money out of your pocket, not the fat off your gut.

While sit-ups (of various kinds) will strengthen the muscles of the mid-section, they will not (of themselves) make the muscles defined.

Once you have the muscles, to make them apparent, you have to reduce subcutaneous fat. You can reduce the fat through a combination of diet (reduce the intake of fats, oils and baked goods) and LSD running. Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: