Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Alternatives to 5 hour energy drink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to 5 hour energy drink Reply with quote

Hello folks.

I am a sprinter at my school, and I like to take 5 hour energy drink before my practice. I believe it gives me a good kick and helps me finish my practice strong. But I think it keeps me awake at night. Are there any alternatives to 5 hour energy drink, where it would give me a kick but wouldn't keep me up all night?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, good nutrition is the best way to get ample energy and avoid the peaks and valleys you're experiencing. What's your diet like?

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan.

My diet is pretty healthy, I eat a lot of fresh fruit, the meat I eat is usually baked. I eat most vegetables, steamed. I eat pasta, rice and, white potatoes mostly every day. I don't drink soda, or coffee, i mostly drink milk and water every day. My vices are bakery, cookies, and muffins, but i don't eat them very often. I also eat plain yogurt occasionally.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good. My secondary guess is that maybe you aren't eating enough? Healthier foods tend to be lower in caloric content than processed stuff. That's good for losing weight, as you get the nutrition without the calories, but it means you get hungry quicker between meals. Maybe a bigger breakfast/lunch or a snack before practice will help?

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right on that Dan, I do not eat very much in the morning or before i run. The reason why is that I need at least four hours for my food to digest or else i'll puke it up. Also if i eat too much before I run, I will get a side-ache and not run as well. Any suggestions?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've come to the right place! I'm exactly like you in that respect. Sad Anything less than four hours to digest and I'll be in pain. My solution was to eat a good sized breakfast and a medium-small lunch, so as to get the calories and nutrition in early but then taper off the intake prior to running.

Beyond that, experiment on easy days with snack things you can eat that won't upset your stomach in small quantities. Bananas are always a good bet, as are most fruits and nuts. (Stay away from apples prior to running, they'll make you cramp.) It only takes 100-200 calories to keep the blood sugar levels up and get you through to practice time, and that small an amount of food should digest pretty easily.

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan for the suggestions on what to eat and snack on before I run. I have some other things to ask you, what should I eat for breakfast and lunch? I eat cereal and eats two eggs and bacon for breakfast, then eat some pasta before I run for lunch. Are these good foods to eat, or would you suggest something else?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of cold cereal, as most of it is just refined flour, sugar, and low quality mineral additives. Some of the whole grain cereals and oatmeal are solid choices, though. Bacon is tasty, but probably doesn't do much for your nutrition and sustained energy, being largely fat. Add a banana to your cereal to get some balance into the meal.

The pasta is a good choice for lunch. A bit of protein (tuna sandwich or nuts?) might help you feel satisfied longer, though.

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cereal i eat is Special K, and Kashi Shredded Wheat, not the frosted stuff. I am allergic to oats right now because i have a reaction to them. I also eat Nan flat bread (indian or persian) in the morning.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kashi should be pretty good. Special K isn't much different from all the sugary cereals, in my opinion. They angle themselves as the healthy choice, but it's just the same thing with less sugar...

You're the first person I've ever heard of with an oat allergy! I guess it's possible to be allergic to just about anything, as evidenced by my family.

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I am allergic to oats is that i ate too much of it a while back and my mom tells me that i am a universal reactor, which mean i get allergic to anything i get too much of. In about a year i might be able to eat oats again.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a non-technical term for that ~12 years ago... I think it was leaky gut syndrome. Basically, when you eliminate one allergen from the system, others tend to slide in and take its place.

Dan
Leester
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i have had leaky gut syndrome my entire life. and i spent 2 years as a young child on strict rotation diet. I can eat anything now as long as I don't binge on it.
Irun100s
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a saying that goes like this "If my Grandma would not recognized it as food I should not eat it". Stay away from these quick fixes. Try getting a good nights sleep and eating properly. There is no reason that a young person like yourself should need an "energy" drink.

Irun100s.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice variation of the, "eat food that comes in its own natural wrapper" philosophy.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: