Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Another middle distance guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was just wondering if there is such thing as doing too much lactic acid workouts?? I am a middle distance guys starting his tempo - base day (sunday). I do lactic acid runs (4 miles all out) (6:00-6:30 pace) about 3-4 times a week. I feel good. But could I be doing too much of it? For an example, is the 30-40 miles a week for a middle distance guy have to be aerobic miles mostly, or can the miles be mostly lactic? But what IM thinking is...isn't 4 miles already aerobic anyways? (hope you comprehend)

So what im TRYING to say is are the lactic acid runs (4 miles) more beneficial than just the plain old 4 mile runs during this period, or do I have to run the 4 miles slow... or are they both needed b/c one is for lactic acid and one is for aerobic base running. So do i have to run a 4 mile run slowly to make the 4 mile run longer to obtain rich oxygen blood needed for speedwork in the future in my blood? Or could I just go all out on most days? regardless its 4 miles. I hope you undersand what Im trying to say. Hope it all makes sence!
Sorry for this hard question!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're getting at, but let me preface my answer by saying I pay little heed to things like lactic acid threshold, aerobic/anerobic ratio, VO2max, heart rate, etc. I see really only two things being important:

1) pace
2) percent effort

I know many people will disagree with me on that, but all the other stuff is basically just fancy, technical ways of expressing the same thing.

So, if you look at your training in that light, you are doing a high percentage of your training (roughly a third) at a pace that would be beneficial to a distance runner, but too slow to be of direct benefit to a mid distance type. By running such a high volume (relatively speaking) at that intensity, you are most likely taking away from the quality of pace work you are able to do, which is the bread and butter of the mid distance events.

Of course, you did say tempo-base, so it might be that you are doing minimal pace work at this point? I subscribe to the hard-easy-hard-easy (by day) training pattern. If the tempo runs are your hard workouts right now, then it is probably ok. If they are supplemental in nature, then I would slow them to 6:30-7:00, up them to 5-6 miles on average (some 4's and 6's or 7's mixed in), and make the most of the pace work in between.

Hope this helps,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say all you do for mid-distance is
pace work
percent effort
what type of stuff is that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arent lactic acid the bread and butter of workouts and winning races?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, some people would say that extensive lactic acid work is detrimental, as it emphasizes running that breaks down your form and accumulates muck in your legs, for lack of a better term.

I'm not by any means saying that that type of work is not necessary, I just don't think it's the right way to look at things. Focusing on the other side of the equation will yield better results, in my opinion.

Pace work is simply gearing your workouts to the current race pace or goal pace. Percent effort is closely related, as it is based on what you are currently capable of. These two items basically dictate what you are capable of at any given time, although they sound very simple on the surface.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think running 4 miles "all out" 3-4 times a week is a bit much. You're effectively racing every other day. It's too much of the same thing and it's a lot harder than necessary. I don't think this is what is meant by lactate threshhold training. I believe a lactate threshold workout is done at 25-30 seconds slower per mile than 5K race pace (I'm no expert). Regardless, if you're in a base phase, one of these type of runs per week is plenty. You could make one of these hard 4 milers a longer run (6-8 miles?) and make another a fartlek run or some kind of workout where you stayed in touch with your middle distance race pace i.e. strides, 200's, whatever (ask Dan). If you're not in a base phase, then the hard 4 miler is probably not appropriate for a middle distance guy. Good luck.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Paul Fendler']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: