Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Healthy Eating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Healthy Eating Reply with quote

Can anyone help me out with some healthy snack type things to eat? Now that XC started, im going to try, (key word), to eat healthy the entire season, which is just under three months. Im not exactly the healthiest eater, so ive got no clue what kind of snacks are good, especially for just a late night snack while watching tv. Also any ideas about lunch that i can bring to school, besides pb and j and a banana?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest rule of thumb: natural wrappers! Anything processed is likely not your best choice, whereas fruits and vegetables you can't really go wrong with.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything, but make sure you have a wide variety. Don't just eat meat most of the time and that's it. There was a quote somewhere about "as long as it's edible, then the tank will burn it" or something like that. Even Haile stated in an interview that he eats whatever too, including french fries from time to time. Just think about it though, all of that junk food doesn't stay. You're a runner! You're burning energy, you won't get fat. Just eat as much as you can of anything. What's more important is how much you eat as opposed to what you eat. I said "more" important which means taht you shouldn't neglect the other half, or what Dan said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably thinking of the Once a Runner quote, "if the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn." Catchy, but it ignores the fact that not all calories are created equal, i.e. burning them is only half the battle. You still need the nutrients and steady sugar levels that processed junk will not provide.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelo, i know that im a runner and i will burn off everything i eat. Thats not the question i was asking. Just eating healthy for the past few days, i have felt way better then usual and my miles are still increasing. Its bland as hell eating so many veggies and stuff but in the long run itll be worth it if i can recover faster and thus run better races and train harder because i feel better.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You're probably thinking of the Once a Runner quote, "if the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn." Catchy, but it ignores the fact that not all calories are created equal, i.e. burning them is only half the battle. You still need the nutrients and steady sugar levels that processed junk will not provide.

Dan

Yes, now I really know by how much off I was! And yes, you're also right about glycogen or basically blood sugar. Aerobic running especially starves the body of glycogen. I've had times where I could barely get through my run because I felt so tired and all I did was focus on eating a lot of everything I could get my hands on. Since eating healthy is mostly related to the type of foods you eat, quantity is also very important.

Steve, you should try eating the veggies with ranch. I usually take a whole bag of baby carrots and sit there dipping in ranch and eating and it also works with celery. It makes vegetables taste more like a delicious snack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
happyfeet
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite late night snack is chips and salsa or fruit. Now I get the extremely healthy (barely tastes like anything) chips and all natural salsa so I feel as though that is healthy with the thought of being unhealthy. Rasberries and blueberries are great for me. If you eat healthy for long enough your body will crave that kind of food and not processed stuff. Good Luck!
mahesh12
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having fruits are the best option for you. If talk about drinks, then tea and coffee are also good as night snacks, but overtaking them will cause you some side effects. Make sure you do not consume large amount of high carb instant food and lot of artificial flavored drinks at night.
Having foods which you are not allergic will not do any harm to your body. Thus, drink sufficient amount of water if you are up till late night.
Irun100s
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to snack and good choice is popcorn. It is a whole grain which is something that you should be eating anyways. Avoid the microwave bags loaded with bad stuff. I'm old school and cook mine on the stove top. Don't load on the butter either. Try some salt and/or garlic as a topper.

I hope this helps,

Irun100s
Jamari
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a healthy life balance diet is most important, we should take the specific amount of the iron and protein as carbohydrate etc.. Then there will least chance of any diseases...
DanTrail64
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to juice fruits and veggies as a snack. Great for getting the extra carbs, helps to fill me up and nutritious too.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to beat juicing from a health standpoint, but staying stocked on all the fresh produce, plus cleaning the dang thing, keeps me from using mine often.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: