Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Usain Bolt's new 9.58 and other things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Usain Bolt's new 9.58 and other things Reply with quote

I have no comments about the new world record, but it seems that Bolt is dragging everyone with him and sprinters are getting much faster. Tyson Gay's new PR is 9.71, even Asafa has a better PR than his previous WR time. What's going on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that thing you and I disagree over the importance of ... competition? Wink People go faster than they otherwise could when they are pushed to higher levels.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but for sprinting, it's not about just making yourself run faster like you can do in the mile, it's not that easy. So does competition mostly apply to changes in training for sprinters?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially the training intensity (i.e. one person raising the bar and another person seeking to step up), but also the extra adrenaline that comes from having runners in adjacent lanes. It's tough to sprint solo... You feel like you're on an island.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the 1500m, mile, and 2000m world records then? I haven't heard about anyone else coming near those records in a long time. For sprinters, you see world records/personal records broken within a really small time frame, but it takes years for distance running. I thought competition was a factor in distance running, isn't it? You also said that it was training intensity for the sprinters to improve their times or even the world records. Does that mean I that if I or the world's fastest milers train with more intensity, we can get closer to or even faster than the world record mile?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible questions to answer... Too many variables.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why are there too many variables in the distance subject as opposed to the sprinter one?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, too many variables in both to answer why records are set frequently in one but not the other.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh because I thought you did give an answer to the sprinter one-competition. There's a bunch of young runners who still have to train more like Kiprop for example, but then again Hicham was around 20 when he set his world records...I think Webb could have broken Hicham's records if the pace was a tiny bit faster.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb is nowhere near as talented as ElG. Totally different running mechanics. Webb doesn't have the efficiency to handle that fast of a pace, in my opinion.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Webb did come within 3 seconds of Hichams time. Less then a second a lap...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 seconds is a huge amount at the world class level. At that level, athletes often go several years between PR's, and when they do come, they tend to be by a few hundredths of a second.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I believe in is training and the level of passion for the sport. I think that the level of passion is what determines how much a runner can really wound himself in a race and training determines the extent of his/her abilities in general.

ssteve235 wrote:
But Webb did come within 3 seconds of Hichams time. Less then a second a lap...

That's exactly what I was about to say. Only 3 seconds, but you can't really feel the difference between running a 55 second lap and a 56 second lap. Webb just decided to go fast that day with rabbits, but if he were to try again with a slightly faster pace, I think he could have done it.

I believe in competition as you do, but not in talent or genetics. What I mean by genetics is that the broad things are what matter. Being generally thin, and having decent bones (since running is an impact sport). However, I don't believe in genetics as specifically to mitochondrial count, capillary count, etc. For example, almost all elite athletes are at the same level, have about the same V02 max, and so on. I don't think that having a higher VO2 decimal wise than the other athlete will automatically guarantee a win. Same with talent, I mean it's mostly about whose willing to bleed more.

Look at Noah Ngeny for example who holds the second fastest mile record in the world. He isn't as "talented" as Hicham as you might say, but all he did was simply stick to him at the end and took the pain. I know there are a lot of supporters out there of talent and genetics, but I just don't believe in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: