Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Are my workouts good enough to meet my goals as a runner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shervinator
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Are my workouts good enough to meet my goals as a runner? Reply with quote

Im trying to reach my goal of running a 51 sec 400, and jumping 6 feet in High jump.
last year my PR's were: 200-24
400-55
HJ-5'8

So during my offseason I have made myself a workout schedual and i am just wondering if , it is good enough to meet my goals.

Monday-2mile warmup sprinting Drills
4x400(75sec pace, and each week drop the time by 5, so next week ill run it in 70,then 65 and ect.)
5hills
1mile cooldown
stretch

Tuesday- 1mile warmup SD
40-60-80's
Jumping Drills
6x40's
1mile cooldown

Wensday - 1mile warmup SD
4x600
1mile cool down

Thursday- Rest

Friday- biking and wieght room

Saturday - biking and wieght room

Sunday - rest

If any one has any advice or can help me please do Thanks.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it's good that you're planning things out in advance instead of winging it on a day to day basis. Dropping 4 seconds in the 400 is a serious goal and requires serious work...

The major thing I would change is speed/pace work. If you want to run a 51, you need to be able to comfortably run repeat 25's for 200. 75 sec 400's will not help you develop that kind of speed. Your current 200m PR is barely fast enough for the first half of your goal 400m, so you know raising top end speed is a requirement. The hill sprints and jumps drills will help some with that, but the general interval work is a bit on the long side and is basically just conditioning.

Dan
shervinator
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you so much , Do you know any workouts that can help me?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for jumps. For the 400, there are lots to choose from, varying the distance, speed, and recovery. Basically, anything from 50-250m will benefit you, with the best mix being 150's and 200's. When working on near max-intensity, give yourself plenty of recovery (3-4 min. between efforts). If the intensity is a bit lower, you can shorten the recovery to as little as 30 seconds and work on the speed endurance side of the equation, which is important for stringing it all together in a race.

Dan
shervinator
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , This information will really help me .
Razz
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also do flying starts, plyometrics (more specific than jumps) and stadium steps. The 400 has two parts: pure speed and lactic tolerance. You develop the lactic tolerance more through doing longer intervals such as 400s-800s. There is also a workout where you run normally, then sprint, and then quickly do push-ups and some other body weight exercises before quickly restarting. I don't quite remember how it works exactly. Another good one is sprint-float-sprint. Running at your top speed is very unstable which is why it's important to run fast and stay relaxed at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: