Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Hip problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suddenly got a hip problem which seems to have just come out of the blue. I haven't had any injuries so far, apart from occasional shinsplints, but now my right hip joint area gives me a bit of mild pain when I walk, to the point where I sometimes walk with a slight limp. If I run, after about 2 - 3 miles it goes away, along with any shinsplint discomfort and then I'm fine. It just seems to be when I'm not running. I don't know whether to rest for a whole week, which will be very hard or just carry on. Could it maybe be the road camber, as I always run on the right, facing the traffic (UK, forcing me to run differently on my right leg?. The half marathon I'm doing is in 4 weeks time, and I've already missed one 'long' run last weekend. Any advice on what to do for the best? Smile

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Heidi']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi,

That sounds like the hip flexor problem I had a few years back. I tried running through it for a while, and it steadily got worse. I eventually broke down and had to take time off while doing physical therapy.

Here's where things get interesting... Most people will discount this, but it finally went away when I admitted to myself that it was in my head and I re-read John Sarno's http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446392308/rundown. I strongly recommend the book, even if it doesn't turn out to be related to your problem. I have recovered from numerous injuries through that technique.

In the meantime, you can ease back on the running a bit and do a lot of stretching and mild strength and range of motion work.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, I'll see if I can get the book in the UK. I'm still a bit concerned whether I'll be ok in the half marathon, as I've not done one before. If I totally stop the long weekend runs now am I likely to suffer on the day? Or should I stop the long runs for a couple of weeks and do another one two weeks before the event? I really don't want to miss it as its back in my home county and its the 20th anniversary event. It will be quite a personal achievement to have run my first major race distance in my native Nottinghamshire.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the good news about the injury you have, it only bothers you when you're not running. Smile If you take care to keep it from getting worse, I don't think you will need to sacrifice your training to any great extent.

Stopping the long runs now and starting them up again in two weeks might not work well. I think your body might have a hard time adjusting to the mileage roller coaster.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for the advice, I'll carry on until my leg drops off!! Smile

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to stop a wee bit before then...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: