Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
How to run the mile in under 3:40?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: How to run the mile in under 3:40? Reply with quote

The pace to run a mile in 3:39 is 54.75 seconds a lap. It's always been a curiosity for me just because it seems so unreachable among every miler out there and for the simple fact that it's in the 30 second range which just feels like a step closer to 3:30. Looking at Hicham, he had rabbits in his mile record run. Now it's hard to get pacemakers because most don't want to sacrifice their victory for another. Still looking at Hicham's mile run technically, it's the same exact thing even if he didn't have pacemakers. It's still the same distance, the same speed, etc. Pacemakers don't really seem like they help physically because the runner is still running. The only logical explanation would just be to say that pacemakers would block some of the air resistance...

It is possible to break the record by going out into first from the start. It's all about "just do it." Going out into first and not slowing down even if life depended on it. This was Pre's mindset whenever he ran with the runners that sit back and sprint to the finish in one of the interview I saw on youtube. It's just that every runner sits back and kicks at the end. It's getting boring, there needs to be something new. It's more amusing to see one runner ahead by 100m of the whole pack to the finish line than the whole clump at the finish line. It's like Bolt's Olympic victory-he got all the attention when he was several strides ahead of everyone else. Like Prefontaine said, "A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much stopped reading after these two sentences:

Quote:
Now it's hard to get pacemakers because most don't want to sacrifice their victory for another. Still looking at Hicham's mile run technically, it's the same exact thing even if he didn't have pacemakers.

Both statements are complete nonsense.

1) There is absolutely no difficulty in attaining good rabbits. They're there at every international race, big or small, excluding championship affairs where they are not allowed. And it has nothing to do with sacrificing victory to be the rabbit. The rabbits are incapable at going the whole distance at that pace, but they have proven themselves good at taking the field through an intermediate distance at a consistent pace.

2) It is nowhere near the same thing with and without rabbits! Just look at ElG's times in championship races for proof.

I am continually amazed at how clueless you are on many of the topics you carry on about endlessly. Do you really make an attempt at learning new things, or are you just here to blabber on from your soapbox?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so they are incapable at going at that pace anyways. I didn't know that, but I appreciate that I know now... Rolling Eyes Yeah, I may be clueless on several things, even many things to be fair but I have the physical fitness and cabability and that's what matters. Again just like AM runner mentioned, many runners in Kenya go under sub four on a daily basis and almost nobody in the U.S. knows that. In a sense I am like them but it's about to change. I WILL take XC and track. I have the forms now but practice starts on the 16th and driver's ed ends on the 17th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry but i agree with dan, angelo most of what you say does not make sense. And you keep on making up excuses about not running track. If you ever eventually run track, post the name of your school so i can verify if anything of what you say is true.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuses? I just said I have driver's ed which ends on the 17th. I CAN'T do driver's ed afterschool AND do track afterschool. If I choose track then I'll get kicked out of driver's ed and my parents would never allow me to do that. My parents did not understand the significance of extracurricular activities for college eariler, let alone transporting me. I do make excuses because there are excuses to make. "Oh, there's no one in my neighborhood to car pool me either" hmm, what a coincidence that is too...

I would GLADLY allow you to verify me show I can show people like you and others that have denied me for so long. Now there are families out there that are in such a bad shape that the government needs to lend them money. I'm not saying that's my case, but come on man. You have the possibility of participating in track. I have no sisters or brothers, all of my grandparents are dead. I have no other relatives in the U.S.. In 9th grade there was no body in my area to car pool me. My parents worked everyday until 7 pm and only had the weekend off. I went to seek help from the coach, etc. but every single option out there was dead. Right now my parents talked to the school's counselor and told them the significance of extracurricular activities for colleges. My parents want me to do some extracurricular activites but they can't give up their jobs and go into the streets. And that's the way it is-excuse upon excuse, upon excuse. Tell me something I don't know.

But look, I disagree with Dan on many things. Does that mean you should do the same? You're name is Steve, you see things the way you want to. I gave you advice on shin splints and you approved of it. I've talked to other runners and many said senseless/important things. You're going to hear that a lot.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, I may be clueless on several things, even many things to be fair but I have the physical fitness and cabability and that's what matters.

Completely unsubstantiated, I might add. Until you post some verifiable results, no one is going to believe any of what you have to say. How many times do I have to say that before it sinks in?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was saying that towards myself. Not to anyone else. I already know people don't believe, but I, myself believes.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was saying that towards myself. Not to anyone else.

Forums are for talking to other people, not just yourself... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I already know people don't believe, but I, myself believes.

Please don't waste our time, then.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sentence would have never been typed if other people wouldn't have caused it to. I made a statement about rabbits and on top of correcting me, you also insinuated on the degree of my post's significance (I also take in consideration my own past actions too). I wasn't even aware of documenting myself about rabbits and pacemakers to find out that they can't run at a certain pace because it wasn't on my mind.

I don't know who's time I waste anyways. I know that you verify everything daily anyways and it's not like this forum has high activity either like it had in 2005.

Quote:
Do you really make an attempt at learning new things, or are you just here to blabber on from your soapbox?
I'm here for both. I've just learned something new today about pacemakers/rabbits. I enjoy blabbing on about an aerobic base, how that guy ran a 3:53 in high school but the other couldn't and so on
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That sentence would have never been typed if other people wouldn't have caused it to.

So, when told to "put up or shut up," you say things that make no sense and that you are not responsible for? Better to just keep quiet in the first place, then, and not talk yourself into a corner.

Quote:
I've just learned something new today about pacemakers/rabbits.

It isn't the first time we've covered that topic... I expect you to make a similar statement in another month or two.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: How to run the mile in under 3:40? Reply with quote

Angelo Z wrote:
The pace to run a mile in 3:39 is 54.75 seconds a lap (...)."

Hey, Angelo -- what is your PB over 400m, and if your PB is over 1 year old, what is your Season Best over 400m for the last year?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 48.4 in Romania last year. For those who deny that kind of range for a miler, Webb ran 49.8 as a HS sophomore with a mile time of 4:06. I'm on his path so I'm expecting to run around a 3:53 mile as a senior too. Webb ran 4:24 as a freshman, I ran 4:55 at the beginning of my freshman year. When I was new on here, 4:55 was the time I mentioned. I made a 47 second improvement since my freshman year. It's not all about the training, it's about how you run the mile. Webb ran 3:53 in 12, 4:03 in 11th and 4:06.94 in 10th. He made a 10 second improvement from 11-12, 3 second improvement from 10-11.

There's a secret to running the mile faster everytime. You have to start out more aggressively and sustain that pace throughout. I ran the 800 faster by 5 seconds that way. Instead of just running it, I started out fast. My first lap was faster than the second. Many say to not start out fast but I disagree. You start out fast, then you get tired and run slower. Meanwhile, you're "recharging your anaerobic system" so then you sprint once more at the end. 2 kicks and 1 race pace I'd better than 2 race pace and 1 kick at the end.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is anyone that would deny that range for a miler... If in fact you ran that time why were you not running at the World Juniors depending on heat that woul dhave gotten you through top the Semi's or at least close. http://www.iaaf.org/documents/pdf/3739/AT-400-M-h----.RS4.pdf

Whats nice is that you are also less than 3 secs away from the Romanian National record... which is 45.6

Also if you are in Romainia wouldnt you be running the 1500? Or do they run the mile there as well?

And lastly every race is different if you think you can plan them all out easily think again. This is was one of the knocks on ElG for a while stating he was a one trick pony - coincidently it is also a knock on Webb - that time trial races are all well and good but when it comes down to a championship where tactics were involve they were at a disadvantage.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I ran the mile for myself and I'm not quite sure about "Romanian running" at all. You make 3 seconds sound like nothing. It would take me years more to achieve that time. I can't even reach 10 seconds in the 100. Also, the Romanian record is not in that link, the best time there is a 46. I was running 12 second (not flats) 100s in middle school. There are plenty of sub four milers out there that no one even knows they train. Just because I have some really good times doesn't mean I'm automatically in the championships.

This is how I ran my 400, I was doing several weeks of sprint training. I would switch from being a miler runner to a 400m runner, you all know about this because I posed about it. Anyways, one day I take my 400m track shoes with me and decide to time myself on this dusty track where the lanes were almost invisible. I timed myself and payed as much attention as possible to technique rather than making the mistake to run like a maniac. I used a stop watch, not my watch, a real stop watch. Hey, it's not perfectly accurate on the milliseconds, but 48.4 is what it read. It will all come through soon, it's my job to still prove it.

About my strategy that I mentioned, I had to run 2 laps every day last semester. I would always run 1:57-1:58 800s, but on the second to last day, I went out so aggresively on the first lap that I ran a 1:52 for the 800 which is also probably my PB because I haven't ran the 800m in ages. I went so fast on that first lap that I ran the second one slower. That alone made a solid 5 second difference in my time. When you run at race pace, there's that feeling of intimidation "don't start too fast."
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the point you have no good times. Until you run a valid time in a race dont post it as if you have.

You have no rival. you have not run a race so you cant.

timing yourself on a track does not count.

No one ever said that if you run a fast time you get in a championship. this is you taking things to an extreme and generalizing. Taken at face value. if you can run that time you shoul have attempted to find out how to get on your national team. There were no Romanian athletes in the 400M for boys it is a leap but not a huge one to think that a time like that should get you noticed and on somones radar. I do not profess to know what the system is like there just noting that it its a good time.

I also know from experience that 3 secs is not trivial (never said it was as a point) - however I do know that the development of an athlete of your supposed age should improve drastically over time given appropriate coaching.

I wouldn't know that you did that because honestly I ignore most of your posts - they have no validity. I have not posted or read in a while due to some issues but got back on recently and decided to read some of what has been posted recently and well my mistake. I will not debate this any longer, it is pointless and I apologize to anyone reading this for wasting their time, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

And sure I will respond to the other posts out there as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: