Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Fluid Intake Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
I am currently training for my first 1/2 marathon and have hit a huge barrier. I am trying to take on fluids whilst running but every time I drink something (I have tried several different drinks) I vomit shortly after. I need to take the fluids on otherwise I will suffer from dehydration later in the race. Is there anything I can do to stop the constant vomiting after trying to take on fluids?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ricky']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ricky,

Yuck. Smile

I assume you have tried drinking plain water? I'm one of those people that requires 4 hours to digest food and cannot consume sport drinks within an hour or two of running or I cramp up terribly.

If water sits well with you, that will provide all you need for 13 miles. There's no need to replenish salt and sugar (all sports drinks are) over that distance.

The only other thing I can think of is to try and boost the efficiency of your digestive system. Something like FOS powder might work -- it's done wonders for me. Probably completely coincidental, but FOS has supposedly been a commone ingredient in Japanese food for many years (pretty new in the US), and the Japanese are far better in distance running than in most other events, relative to the rest of the world.

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

I am training for my first marathon and have the same problem as Ricky. I can't take on any fluids including water. Over this distance one would need to replenish salt and sugar?
What is the FOS powder, I am in the UK and haven't heard of this before. Is it available in the UK?

Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what to suggest if water doesn't work. It might be worth consulting a nutritionist. A marathon is probably a bit long to not supplement salt/sugar.

I don't recall the details of exactly what FOS is. I believe it is packaged as NutraFlora FOS. It's some sort of sugary compound (tastes like cotton candy when taken in the powdered form) that boosts good bacteria in your digestive system. I was having abdominal pain following a viral infection, and medical tests showed nothing. A brilliant nutritionist I was going to thought my good bacteria might have been killed off, causing an imbalance.

Some products introduce new good bacteria into the system, but those didn't work, as they don't last. The FOS actually builds good bacteria, something like a 5x increase if you take a quarter to half teaspoon a day for a month (I'm a bit foggy on the numbers), and maintain it at that level or higher. Worked very well for me and others that I have recommended it to.

I imagine it would be available in the UK. It's certainly an international product. I believe Twin Labs and Schiff both make it in powdered form.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a marathoner, or a fast runner. I will share a thought with you- try drinking VERY LITTLE at a time. I used to get bad cramps or vomit when I drank a glass of water while running. I found that I did better when I would slow to a walk for about 10 steps, and take 1 or 2 sips (NOT gulp) of water, and then walk for 10 or so more steps. I'd then return to running. I didn't get that sloshing effect which would make me ill. This doesn't get you as much water as drinking an glass, but it was as much as I could stand. Good luck.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Alexa Albrecht']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: