Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Sprained Toe

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Sprained Toe Reply with quote

I sprained my big toe kinda bad and ive got a meet coming up in a few days. it doesnt really affect my running other then causing some pain during some of my runs. is there anything i can do about it other then deal with it and hope it goes away.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice it a few times a day, especially after exercise. You could try applying heat before running to help it loosen up a bit. Beyond that, just let it rest as much as possible (don't walk around barefoot) and try not to favor it.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch it isometrically. With your socks on, I mean actually stretching it with your hands. That will help lossen it up before the meet. Today I was challeneged to a 100m sprint, I didn't stretch or anything. When I got inside the gym to play some volleyball, my ankles hurt really bad. See what it means to not even take at least 5 minutes stretching? And I mean real stretching. Hold each stretch 30-60 seconds not 5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. (I know, surprise, surprise.) ssteve235 is on a tight time schedule to get it rested before racing. Lots of stretching will just make the sprain linger. It needs rest before testing the range of motion.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. I had time trails today and just taped my big toe and the toe next to it together with a piece of cotton inbetween. That really helped, i felt almost no pain running on it. Im also gonna ice it tonight. Is that the righ thing to do if it works?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that should be passably okay. Taping it adds a likelihood of blistering, but at least it gives the toe some support to allow it to heal (or at least not get worse) while you continue the necessary running to be race ready.

I would ice it a few times, i.e. right after running, after dinner, and again before bed. 10-15 minutes each time.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one last quick question, should i leave it taped all the time or just while im running?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just while running, I would think. Immobilizing shouldn't be necessary for that level of severity, and it might slow the healing process by restricting movement too much.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you just keep it the way it is, when you try to move it even 5mm, it will hurt. Just move it around, I had a couple sprained fingers. If I kept them in the same position, I had a harder time just by slightly moving it. I read that anything in your body that swells up as a result of injury is your body's way of recovering. Putting ice on it decreases the swollen area, but increases the healing time. Again, it's just one of the natural recoveries of the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I disagree. (I know, surprise, surprise.) ssteve235 is on a tight time schedule to get it rested before racing. Lots of stretching will just make the sprain linger. It needs rest before testing the range of motion.

Dan

I do agree -- I remember a small window of opportunity when running 400 m in sub 45 seconds did guarantee a medal, and I do remember a Polish dasher who was in the best shape of his life, and who did try to stretch while being injured, only to get even more injured; next, all he was able to do was walking forward after the gun.
I was astonished and dismayed: why did he stretch? It was his last chance at an individual world championships' medal and he knew it (Mackowiak did anchor the relay that won gold over Team USA in Lisbon, 2001, if I recall the year correctly, indoors, and he did lead--off the team that won the silver in 1999 beating Jamaica during the outdoor world championships in Spain -- the coach did reverse the order in the final: the fastest man lead--off and the slowest did anchor, and ... the gamble worked! At present, he is the gold medalist because of drug violation on the US team in 1999 as well as the bronze relay medalist from 1997 for the same reason! Check the newest news on the IAAF.org ).
There is a reason why the call it a warm up and not just stretching Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help, my toes gotten better over the past week and today during my workout i was able to run w/o taping my toes. except now ive encountered a new problem, during my workout i had to cut it short because my knee started hurting too much to run anymore so i decided to stop. im not sure if i sprained it or anything but is there anything i can do for it. i know im gonna keep running, pain or no pain but i had a similar problem last year w/ the other knee and it kept me on the sidelines for section championships.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess for the knee would be compensation due to the sprained toe. It could also be overly worn trainers, bad mechanics, etc.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have taken a pause from running then that might be the cause for your knee pain. If I take a week off from running, it takes 2-3 days to get back to running properly because my knees just keep staying in a locked-like position which causes me pain. It may also be some flexibility-related imbalance in your knee. If your quads are tight, they will pull harder on your knee and will impeded the joint range of motion. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings and quads so it can be flexible. Sprinting also helps because it forces the stretch but is also more risky because you may end up with some sudden, sharp pain. That's why I advise you static-stretch instead. Or maybe like Dan said, it could be improper mechanics. Since your toe truly got better, that same caution still remains in your head which in return, makes you be overly careful thus affecting your mechanics.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pain isnt from taking a pause from runnng because i havent take more then a day or 2 off in the past 6 months. im always real careful to properly stretch before every run because of wat happened to my teams number 1 sprinter last year, pulled his hammie the week before states, s streching isnt the problem. my guess would be my mechanics but im not sure how to fix that because i have one new coach this year who knows nothing abot running and the othe coach isnt a sprinter and doesnt really give out good advice to begin with. our team pretty much runs itself. but back to my knee, i ran tday w/ almost no problems. im not sur if it was because we didnt run on the track today, ran hills on a nice soft grassy hill, or becasue i took an aleve 40 minutes before prac or mayb because its truly it was just a one time thing. the day it hr real bad it was real odd snowing an i know that sometimes dampness can affect your joints. does anyone know of any excerises that can strengthen your knee muscles ( if there even are any)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seated leg extensions might help, if you have one of those machines in your weight room.

Icing after practice is always good for taking the edge off of knee soreness.

Running on soft surfaces whenever possible will reduce impact on the knees.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: