Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
movie review: Run for Your Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan mentioned "90% intensity in one of his articles on African training."
I read about Pre's injury in one of his bios.

Actually, it's 90% of MHR, sorry. That's still like temp pace which is about 90% intensity...

"However, his training might have been too strenuous because Prefontaine failed to qualify for the state meet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Prefontaine

The worst thing I hate is when teachers tell us, "Wikipedia gets edited by people!"

Dan's article:
http://run-down.com/training/training2.php

I would also like to point out a tiny flaw in one of Dan's articles. You can't really "toe" run, otherwise you would look like a ballerina who actually have specialized shoes where the toe area is actually flat so they can stand on their toes. I know what Dan means though-running on the balls of your feet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ball running" would get a lot of blank looks...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a few snickers...
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that you are attempting to pit Dan and I against each other bravo for the tactic.

But Dan and I have disagreed in the past and probably will again doesnt mean that I dont respect his opinion on things and I must assume the same from him.

toe = forefoot

Anyway I feel I need some clarification here based on this.

read Many young Kenyans (an exact quote) - I did not say all... many Kenyan children live a life whereby they need to run/walk anywhere they need to go - be that fetching water, going to school, herding cattle... this can be up to miles and miles daily - this is not done at any intensity other than if they may be late or need to get som,ething done .... thi builds a huge aerobic base. there are exceptions to this as well (back to my point about never generalizing)

I for whatever reason can not get to that article - but I will read it - when I can - I have read a lot of things about Steve Prefontaine but am not familiar with this story. again though he is just one person and one example - I am not sure where you are going with it but perhaps it is the hero worship that he seems to garner - some deserved some not there is a mystique about him for sure and he was a very good runner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: