Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Sprint Central
Bolt 9.69 split-times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NLSTRACK
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Bolt 9.69 split-times Reply with quote

From Pierre-Jean Vazel - Coach to Fasuba

PJ's words from Charlie Francis.com

''I was filming right perpendicular to 60m mark. Got the other splits by estimating body position relative to the marks on the track from the slow mo replays.

RT 0.165
10m 1.85
20m 2.87 (1.02)
30m 3.78 (0.91)
40m 4.65 (0.87)
50m 5.50 (0.85)
60m 6.32 (0.82)
70m 7.14 (0.82)
80m 7.96 (0.82)
90m 8.79 (0.83)
100m 9.69 (0.90)

Times at 60m
6.32 + 3.37 = 9.69 BOLT
6.40 + 3.49 = 9.89 THOMPSON
6.46 + 3.45 = 9.91 DIX
6.52 + 3.41 = 9.93 MARTINA
6.43 + 3.52 = 9.95 POWELL
6.48 + 3.49 = 9.97 FRATER
6.46 + 3.55 = 10.01 BURNS
6.55 + 3.48 = 10.03 PATTON

How much did Bolt lose? Was he going for a 0.84 on the last 10m section? Give him a 0.13x reaction time and we can see a 9.60 one day.

Bolt barely warmed-up before the semis, he didn't tried blocks at all, just a few standing start with spikes instead, while Gay was doing endless start practices under Drummond supervision. Powell wasn't looking so good on the blocks, he did a significant number of these, but obviously the trials were not of equal quality.
Before the final, the guys starting dancing, while Powell was walking go and back, you could see on his face that he was trying to smile while announcer told his name, but he was not ready to run. Note that for his last meeting before the race, in Monaco, Powell went 3.78 at 30m and 6.35 at 60m for 9.82, in still wind conditions. In final, he was nowhere that shape.
Impressed by Martina who broke his NR three times in two days.
Great season by Richard Thompson, who won NCAA in and outdoors, equal world lead indoors at 60m, also had to go through Trials, and 2 PBs at OG. Wow.
Special mention to Obikwelu, 100m European record holder (9.86), OG silver medallist at 100m, 3 times European Champ, who will retire. ''
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shape? I think it's confidence. All the other sprinters were jumping up and down and couldn't stand still-draining their adrenaline. Yet Usain was calm, and calm was the race too for him. I see it in many athletes in short events. They just concentrate, and concentrate and puff their cheeks every 2 seconds and in the end they fail. I'd tell ya that if you kept a lion on a leash behind the athletes, the results would be staggering. Don't think, do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that Bolt still ran a 0.83 for the 80-90m segment, as he was already celebrating by that point. Maybe even during the 0.82 from 70-80m...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how? See that's what irritates me about him. He's just so good that he isn't human. If only there was a way to look very close to the sprinters that lost and Bolt that won, just to find the exact explanation as to why they lost-mechanically. It's easy to say "well he just had greater stride length," but I want to see that. He looked like he was kicking at the end of an 800.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article that I've found: http://www.thestar.com/article/481904
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if he would've held the .82 the rest of the way (geez, 27 mph), he'd be at 9.6 flat. Maybe it's not realistic to think he'd hold that pace, but he also might have been celebrating during that time and maybe could've gone faster yet.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just a little taller than Asafa Powell, yet their times are drastically apart (PBs). Why? Usain Bolt just uses better form and has more power in his legs which help him create such long strides. When a sprinter almost perfectly balances out his stride length with leg speed assuming the sprinter has almost perferct form, then the only other factor to consider is pure, raw, muscular strength-something that most sprinters don't quite take too seriously other than plyos and hill running. If you really want to see differences, then have both Usain and Asafa have a leg press face off. And for those of you wondering, THAT'S what steroids are meant for: increasing muscle mass/strength, so in a way, Usain does have that "little" upperhand, but just without steroids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Sprint Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: