Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Olympics '08 stats

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Olympics '08 stats Reply with quote

http://www.runblogrun.com/2008/08/beijing_updates_august_23_2008.html

Quote:
Some stats to Usain Bolt:

100 m win: first gold for Jamaica at Olympics.

100 m win: speed average 37.152 km/h.

The first 100, 200,4x100 triple winner at the games with world records in all three events.

In the 200 m race average speed 37.305 km/h, with 9.96/9.34 halves.

200 m win: the biggest winning margin 0.66.

His 100/200 combination 28.99 well ahead of Tyson Gay 29.39.

http://www.runblogrun.com/2008/08/beijing_updates_august_24_2008.html

Quote:
5 world records (last time more in 1980 6)

12 olympic records (plus 5 wr) in total 17

2 world junior records

Best 4x400 m splits in finals

Men: 43.18 Wariner, 43.56 Alekseyev, 43.62 J. Borlee

Women: 48.55 Felix, 48.93 Richards, 49.18 Litvinova

Much more on the second link...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 200m, was one of the 100s literally ran in 9.3 something? Like 19.30 and 19.32, are they actually 9.3 range 100s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second half is faster due to the running start.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then if the 9.3 really counts, then that should be a world record? It's like running the 800 faster than the world record during the mile right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not even close to right... You don't get a running start in the 100m. That's worth at least three-quarters of a second, which is huge in a sprint event.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then with a running start, the "actual" fastest 100m is 9.34, they don't make that a WR just because the actual race is 200m, I understand why the 100 is slightly faster, but I'm right about it being a world record just by itself as a distance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're still not right... It has to be an officially kept record in order to be a World Record, and they don't keep official lists for that sort of thing. Besides, Michael Johnson's was faster.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah I understand that, but it's still a 9.34 100m.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not in the sense you're implying. It is statistically meaningless in terms of a 100m time. Every other elite 200m runner has 2nd half times well under 10.00, too.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've mentioned that Johnson's 100m in his 200 was slightly faster than Bolt's. I guess that would be the "official" fastest 100m with a running start even though it's "meaningless."

Anyways, about Bolt-so many reporters interviewed him because the people just don't understand why he is so fast. I read an interview with Bolt, and he mentions that Jaimaicans do a lot of grass running, the interview then asks if that could be the secret for Jaimican running, and Bolt says maybe. Dan-do you have any extra knowledge on why grass running is effective besides shin splints? I've also seen a photo of Bolt and his coach with an elastic band around Bolt's waist for improving acceleration. I think that many elite runners and sprinters just don't quite pay much attention to body weights, parachutes, etc. I wonder why...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has wanted to know what the Jamaican secret is long before Bolt came along... Ben Johnson, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Sanya Richards -- all Jamaican, plus many more. No one has the answer, just lots of guesses.

Trinidad & Tobago and the Bahamas have also produced a huge number of sprint finalists, so it's really the whole region, not just Jamaica.

Quote:
I think that many elite runners and sprinters just don't quite pay much attention to body weights, parachutes, etc.

I disagree. That is a huge area of emphasis for most elite sprinters. You'd be shocked at how elaborate their training is in that regard.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I thought many runners think that ankle and wrist weights from Sports Authority are just money consumers. I thought elite runners just use regular weights such as dumbells and barbells, but I didn't know they actually use those "gadgets" that I use. I thought many just do the common hill, sprints, etc. Maybe I was just thinking that they weren't worth it, but actually I personally found akle weights, and such to be effective in such a way that it can make one runner unique from all others. I couldn't bring mine because they would take up too much weight required for my flight (all of the bagagges were over 50 pounds which came in at about ~$700 fine).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that's what you meant by body weights. No, most people stick to standard weight lifting and weight sleds. Resistance training, over-speed training, parachutes, etc., are all very common components of sprint programs.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[This post has been deleted at the request of the creator]

Last edited by Angelo Z on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread drift alert...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: