Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Who was the greatest American runner of all time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: El Caballo reprise Reply with quote

'According to Olympic historian Cordner Nelson, Juantorena's double was "the greatest exhibition of speed and durability in history." '

That's from www.coolrunning.com, which lists Alberto at #13 all time. I put him up for consideration on this topic, not for "global" reasons, but as a resident of the Americas. You can argue Johnson, Lewis, and Owens as runners, but they were sprint distance only. Edwin Moses has to be considered because of the amazingly long streak and overwhelming number of top times, but the intermediates are a specialty that doesn't attract as many competitors. Juantorena's decision to run the 800 was last minute and not seriously considered and he set a world record. His 400 was the fastest time ever run at sea-level and third all-time behind the gold and silver performances at Mexico City's altitude enhanced Olympics. This guy straddled the cusp of sprint and middle distance. No one before or since has come close to possessing anything near this accomplishment.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Cuba can be considered part of America from an athletics standpoint, I say we naturalize the whole Carribbean and go 1 through 8 in every major sprint championship! Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the parameter set was "America" not USA, and with that in mind (parameters set by the initial post, that is) we have to nominate FloJo....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to ignore FloJo, but similarly tough to acknowledge her for reasons of major suspicion...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: El Caballo reprise Reply with quote

g.o. wrote:
This guy straddled the cusp of sprint and middle distance. No one before or since has come close to possessing anything near this accomplishment.

Off the top of my head I would start with Mark Everett who ran 44.50 and 1:43.20 .. Although not in the same compettion (which I am sure the cme back would be) .. However Juantorena only did it once in the same competition .. And only ran a handful of 800's

I htink we will see the potential this year of Borzakovsky .. Who is going to run the 400 this year and has already run sub 1:43 ... But I would guestimate that he is capable of sub 45 in the 400 based on his running style, strength, etc .. (my own evaluation) ...

Moses himself ran 44.64 in the open in few attempts as well as 1:48 in what was basically an early season training run .. Add to that 47.02 AND 13.64 and thta gives him a speed and endurance range that is comparable to Juantorena's ..

So while I would consider what Juantorena did to be a great accomplishment .. I would not say that it is with out peer .. Nelson also made that quote in, I believe, 1977 and a LOT has transpired since then ... For example, as much as I am NOT an MJ fan, 10.09/19.32/43.18 is awesome range .. And yet everything pales (in my humble opinion) when you look at the range of Gebresselassie who has run 3:32/7:23/12:39/26:22/2:06 !!!! And I know he has broken 1:50 just not sure of his PR off the top of my head !!!

But getting back to the new definistion of "America's", Now I have ot re-evaluate my choices ... Cool
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Geb's 1500m best was indoors and beat the previous world record, albeit in a second place effort.

Dan
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: El Caballo reprise Reply with quote

I love this discussion board. Glad to see some people talking about running in a smart, open forum like this.

With regards to my championing of El Caballo, don't dismiss "the same competition" as a comeback when it's a legitimate testament to the man's accomplishment. My main idea was to throw Alberto into the mix of great American runners and the primary reason is for having straddled that sprint/middle distance fence in an unparalleled fashion. MJ's accomplishments are fantastic, but they are all contained within a single lap around the oval. I'm a huge Edwin Moses fan, having competed in the intermediates myself, and I still use many of the training concepts I picked up from his routines. The way he created a science out of his event has, in my opinion, also humble, had great impact on T&F since the late seventies, early eighties. It's too bad he was denied the 1980 Olympics as I'm certain he'd have added to his amazing accomplishment.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic: Do you mind sharing your name? I'm trying to think if I know any G.O.'s in Portland, but none are coming to mind...

Dan
g.o.
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind sharing at all, my friend's and family call me Greg. I don't know any Dans in Salem, err, didn't until now. Wink
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On topic Wink I'd have to agree with the assessment of Moses .. I would say that more than anyone he brought a more "technical" aspect to the sport .. His exactness was something that seemed (to me) to be emulated by Tellez and his work with the SMTC group and is continued with Smith and HSI .. These people all look(ed) at the little nuances of sprinting/hurdling which all too often make the difference in place at the end of a race ... This combined with his performances would have ot put him high on any list of greatest evers ...
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put Moses as one of the greatest athletes in our sport ever. I think, there are very few in any event in track and field that can lay claim to the same level of greatness that he had in his prime. Bubka (sp?) in the pole vault, Lewis in the LJ and 100 at his prime, JJK in the multi's and maybe MJ at his very best in the 400 and 200. Although with the exception of Bubka in the pole vault I don't think anyone was as great for as long as Moses.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses deserves to be mentioned in any discussion of the all time greats. No one has dominated their event the way he did. Except maybe a certain female looooooooong distance runner in California... Wink
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to sneak that Trason reference in and one-up Conway's attempt to keep us on topic. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I knew it had beena while since we had heard about Ann .. Wink .. But she is deserving ..

As far as greatness equal to Moses .. I would say Bubka in the pole vault definitely .. Lewis in the long jump (but not the 100) .. MJ in the 400 (but not the 200) .. And believe it or not perhaps Dailey Thompson in the decathlon - he competed for a long time at a high level and won several majors ..

But back on Ameraican soil (North AND South I presume) I stick wiht Moses based on range of events and quality .. Although I will forever have this thought that he raced more towards the end to protect the streak .. Crying or Very sad
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Moses raced to protect the streak toward the end, is that necessarily a bad thing? I think it would just be human nature to try to preserve that type of streak. I am not familar with how he raced toward the end of his career. What did he do? Less races? Races with weaker competion?

BTW, wonder woman won the Quicksilver 50 miler this past weekend in 6:45 (6 hours and 45 minutes). Over 45 minutes ahead of the first male runner. Trail race on a very hilly course, 5400 total feet of elevation gain.

Got to go. Time to put the shrimp on to boil. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: