Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Distance Den
Who was the greatest American runner of all time?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my pick. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking all disciplines, sprints, distance....? If it's everything, Carl Lewis is a tough one to pass up. Distances would probably be bestowed on Jim Ryun, although I lean toward Prefontaine for the "most influential" aspect.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gretatest Distance Runner??

Well, with some qualification, I would have to be Jim Ryun. The greates, YOUNGEST, distance runner.
Recall, he ran a sub-4-minute mile his sophomore year- HIGH SCHOOL, 1962.

The problem with Ryun, and likely the reason for his failure to capture the Gold, he was a victim of the conventional training wisdom at the time-run till you drop!

Can you imagine, today, any high school kid logging 150+ miles a week-200+ as he approached the Olympics. Ryun was nearly a burnout by the time he graduated from high school.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bob Bunch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect too much emphasis is placed on when runners run fast, i.e. high school vs. college vs. post-collegiate. I think there is basically a limit to the potential of any given individual, and some just get to that point earlier through maturation and training. Ryun probably would have accomplished nearly the same performances a couple years later had he followed a more "normal" progression. Just guesses, of course.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prefontaine the best american distance runner by a mile.

[Anonymously Posted by: '5.55']

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefontaine is definately my pick. He was practically unbeatable from 3000 to 10000 meters in the U.S. during his career. He wasn't a bad miler either. Hard to say anyone has been better during their time. And he is definately the most influencial as you point out Dan. I still see "GO PRE" shirts at some of the races I run. I must admit I don't know too much about Ryans career. Did he excel at distances beyond the mile? Why would you place him above Pre?

Dave.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2000 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Ryun's stats handy, but he had much more of an impact internationally than Pre. World record, Olympic favorite, some amazing high school records, and some hideous training loads.

Dan
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave are you kidding? Pre the best? Ha Ha You have been watching too many movies.

The best distance runners for the US off the top of my head so I might miss somebody - in no order
Ryun
Shorter
Rodgers
Salazar
Steve Scott
Maree
Padilla
Kennedy

Goucher and Meb K will soon be on this list
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why would you place the likes of Padilla and Kennedy ahead of Pre?

Dan
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you Pre was better than Kennedy, you must have watched too many movies.

Pre's all time bests
3000 7:42.6
2 Mile 8:18.4
5000 13:21.9

Kennedy all time bests
3000 7:30.89
2 Mile 8:11.59
5000 12:58.21

Who is better? Ah let me think about this.....Pre because he was really cool and liked to drink beer.
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also add Todd Williams, Nenow and Craig Virgin to the list of guys who were at least as good as Pre.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you're going strictly by times across eras? Yep that Paavo Nurmi sure was a slacker...

Here's wishing I could take my times back to Greece in 1896! Wink

Dan
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strictly by time but time is a huge factor.

My point is the Pre thing is out of hand. He wasn't nearly the best in his era but he gets the praise for being the best of all time.

Many of his best times were run in races he didn't even win.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about several very different things. First of all, there has been equal support for Pre and non-Pre picks in this little discussion. As much as I like Bob Kennedy, you can't honestly tell me that he has run his fastest times in races he's won or that he was any more competitive in his era then Pre??? The same is true for most of those alternative choices on your list.

Why is time such a huge factor? There's no question that it's a completely meaningless measurement of greatness across eras. The nature of sport is that things continually get faster and faster, and little of it is due to the people actually performing.

Pre has been glorified more than most other American distance runners, but that does not diminish the impact he had on the sport or the quality of runner he was. Was he over rated in your mind before '96? I sense that you were more influenced by the movies (adversely) than anyone else here...

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leechboy,
I know what you mean by the Pre thing being out of hand. Everyone goes crazy about how hard he worked, but then again, nearly every elite runner has worked just as hard if not harder. I still like Prefontaine though.
Ryun probably was the best, he brought down the WR in mile/1500 quite a bit plus if you check his 880 yd/800 m times are also outstanding. Todd Williams? You're kidding, right?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Lars']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Distance Den All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: