FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Plyometrics every morning?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Plyometrics every morning? Reply with quote

I've been thinking of doing plyometrics every morning, but I read that you should only do them once a week. What happens if I do them everyday in terms of gains, etc.?

Last edited by Angelo Z on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely do them more than once a week, but how regularly depends on what all goes into the routine. There lots of different plyos...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do exaggerated strides (very big leaps.) On top of that I do knee jumps by lifting up my legs as high and fast as I can to my chest when I jump. The other type is when I stay in one spot and stomp my legs very fast on the ground alternating every time. It's like sprinting in place with high knee lifts. After that I do 20-30m sprints with exaggerated knee lifts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are pretty low intensity plyos and could probably be done daily if desired. At least every other day.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are way more painful than sprinting the 400m. The leg stomping thing is like what soccer players do with tires or ladders for agility. I use it to develop leg speed, and ther others to develop the leap and time spent in air.
Fast4Life
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plyos are great to develop speed, strength, and to avoid injuries, but doing them every day might get you hurt at the worst or benefit you little in the least. If you're concerned with properly warming up, then do active stretches and drills instead of plyometrics before a run. I found a great blog that addresses different plyos, workouts, and ways to avoid injuries - http://fastmuscletwitch.blogspot.com - there's some good stuff on there you might find useful. If you really want to take your training to the next level or want a structured training plan, then think about using an online coach or personal trainer who can help you with plyos. Best of luck!
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is able to do plyos everyday with no trouble, why would it still have little gains?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repetitive stress both strengthens and weakens the body over time. Things like that can be a pretty fine balance. Sometimes, a break in the cycle allows you to better monitor the fatigue factor.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But stress is different from weakening, weakening is a side effect of stress. In running, we fatigue ourselves to get better? Why does fatiguing work? Simply because our heart and lungs are made of cardiac and smooth muscle cells that are built to never get tired. However, when we work the skeletal muscles, we physically damage them and require time to recover. The heart and lungs on the other hand are different. The muscle cells in the lungs nad heart do not get damaged physically, but when we put them under stress to affect our energy pathways, then overtime the brain tells the body to add more muscle to the heart, to strengthen it as a response to depleting the energy pathways. And indeed, the heart gains muscle as well as the lungs. Lance Armstrong's heart is about 30% larger than normal. The brain send two signals; to strengthen the energy pathways and lungs and heart, so it's not all about just strengthening the organs.

What I personally found about working out the skeletal muscles, is that as a beginner, you feel soreness in the muscles the next day. However, over 2-3 weeks there's barely any soreness even after heavily training the skeletal muscles, and that's when people get tricked into overtraining.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lance Armstrong's heart is about 30% larger than normal.

You love quoting stats like that, but without supporting information, it's meaningless. Is his heart larger as a result of more aerobic development (training), or is his heart naturally larger and he's got better aerobic capacity as a result? (I don't even know if it's true, but that's beside the point.) To make anything of the stat, we would have to know if his heart has been tested at regular intervals throughout his training and development, including in his early years, and I very much doubt that has taken place.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask then you have an answer. I write on here as if I'm actually conversing, I'm not making structured paragraphs and direct essays, I'm just improvising from everything I know and let the words appear.

In answer to your question: heart size also known as Ventricular Hypertrophy, is a result from aerobic training (mainly), but that doesn't mean that anaerobic training doesn't increase heart size other, because it does. The interventricular septum becomes larger from anaerobic training, and the left and right ventricles from aerobic training. It is also known that athletes with a low resting heart rate tend to have larger hearts because aerobic training improves resting heart rate and the lowest ever by Miguel Indurain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_Indurain

Lance Armstrong was tested pretty much during his career through MRI, because that's the only way to see organs. http://www.sportales.com/Cycling/Lance-Armstrongs-Heart.214691
He wasn't tested throughout his training and development, doctors just wanted to take a look at his heart, that's why theres only one piece of data-30%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong

I know my stuff. Say if one makes a discovery, how can he find a source for that other than his mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: