Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
beginner to 10 miles, it is possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leec
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: beginner to 10 miles, it is possible? Reply with quote

HELP! I am a beginner runner, and have worked up to 3 miles on the treadmill at about 5.7 mph. My friend has roped me into signing up for a 10 mile run in the middle of April. I'm thinking that this was an unrealistic goal. Is it possible to work up to a ten mile run in less than 4 months?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely possible, but the big question is how competitive you want to be.

Figure out how many weeks you have between now and the race and chart a routine that will get your long run up a mile a week (starting from the current 3) to maybe 12-13 (you want to be able to go a bit longer than race distance in training) by the time of the race in April. If you look at it that way, you only need to increase your long run about a mile every week or two.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - slowly increase your mileage and there shou8ld be no issue with you completing the 10 miles.

If the weather agrees I would try to make sure you get some done outside as well over varying terrain.
leec
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: beginner to ten miles, is it possible? Reply with quote

Thanks for the imput!! That makes me feel a bit better. I"m defintly not looking to be competitive, I simply want the satisfaction of being able to finish the race, without completely embarrasing myself Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: