FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Jan- July

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natkat1881
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Jan- July Reply with quote

I've never posted here before...but this seemed to be full of poeple with lots of info on the right way to train. I'm a bit out of shape... not overweight...but am working toward the boilermaker in July....if anyones not familiar with it... it's a 15k in Upstate NY....I ran it for the first time last year...that being the first time I ran a distance that far....and really it wasn't that hard....but I want to IMPROVE MY TIME..and don't know how to go about it... I only ran track for maybe 2 years and never ran cross country in high school....and am now 26....but played other sports...and want to know how to train seriously for this race in July.... I've just started running again this week after last summer...and am serious about running something decent here....
Natalie
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with that specific distance, but it should be close enough to 5k/10k training that you can start there with a general training plan. Do a search online and you'll find lots of plans available. Pick a few reputable sources (i.e. filter out the garbage) and compare them to each other to see which you feel most comfortable with.

If I were training seriously for a race that distance, I would be trying to consistently hit 50-60 miles per week. 7-8 miles per day with one day being 12+. Two workouts a week, being something like 10x 1000m (race pace) and long tempo (extending faster than long run pace).

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Dan said, 1000m intervals are excellent for your race. To further amplify that, you should do 2000m intervals also. 1000m intervals, 2000m intervals, long runs, 200m intervals for speed, and 400m intervals for consistency. Those 5 different types of sessions will help you greatly in training for your 15K race. Good Luck Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
natkat1881
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: ugh Reply with quote

I guess my 3 mile run of the day isn't going to cut it.....you guys are talking about sprinting...then jogging...then back to sprinting...right?I am going to get a trainer next month to help me go about this....I expect to be able to do 6 or 7 miles in a few weeks....then I think I can work on what you guys are telling me to....random other thing...has anyone see those cylindrical styrofoam like things that are used for stretching the muscles around your knees. You Kind of lay on them at the knee and slowly roll...I'm looking for a name here.....and or where they are sold...every sales clerk thinks I'm crazy and I have yet to find one...thanks
Natalie
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you put it that way in a way, yes, yes it is. intervals are basically sprinting, jogging is just long distance. I am not saying to do intervals then to jog right after. These are two different types of sessions which branch out into smaller workouts that are more specific like 1000m, 2000m. When you do intervals, it is intervals only, no ultra distance jogging. The only time you jog is after every interval jog about 100m as recovery as your body is trying to meet your debts from the interval itself, then continue on to the next subsequent interval.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollers or Foam Rollers. They're basically a means of self-massaging by using your body weight to provide the leverage. They're moderately effective, but I'm not a big believer. A good warm-up and stretch will do you much more benefit, in my opinion.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also equipment like that can range up to very high prices. When I was stretching for the splits which I eventually achieved, I saw machines for that type of stretch for around $1500 with only one position. Well you wouldn't use machines like that anyways for warming up Smile The only thing you could use, is maybe a towel for stretching your calves, etc. It makes stretching more comfortable if you don't want to reach with your arm all the way back to grab your ankle when you stretch your quads.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam rollers are inexpensive.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inexpensive, but it can still be a waste of money, $20 is a waste of money on something like that. My mom bought a huge inflatable ball for stretching, exercises, etc. for $55 and she never used it.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Foam Rollers

http://www.performbetter.com/SearchResult.aspx_Q_CategoryID_E_235
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0006OH4WC/002-9762216-5394462?SubscriptionId=0WVXM4EK1VT9S26DGFG2

I know what you mean Dan I have not had a whole lot of success with many things other than good stretching which I cant say I do as much as I should. However I have a buddy (coincidentally is also named Dan) who swears by their effectiveness - granted he has had issues in the past so maybe its just a good way for him to get at something.

The only thing other than stretching that I have ever used is The STick http://www.thestick.com/ and have found it useful to get at things that I could not quite get loose through stretching.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, The Stick is a very similar concept to foam rollers. I have one and use it occasionally, but honestly, it's nowhere near as effective as just using your own hands. There just isn't any targeting of trouble spots with that approach. All you're doing is compressing a large area and promoting blood flow.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but I find at least you can get more of it sometimes with something like that... But certainly possible to get at things with your hands I know that from the massage person I see occasionally - but I never seem to be able to get at it the same way so the stick helps me really work it
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just takes creativity to find the right leverage... Most people think it's impossible to work on your [own] lower back, but it's actually not all that difficult.

Dan
natkat1881
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have advice on learning to run more on the balls of my feet...it's hard for me
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about that for the length of race you're preparing for. It takes a long time to build up to being able to maintain that sort of form for any significant distance.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: